Let's build a 4 cylinder

Yes Chris I think it will work just fine.
Ray

Well I had one of those days.
I wanted to make eight 0.250 diameter X 0.750 long brass nipples for the intake and exhaust ports. There is a 1/4X 28 thread on one end 0.500 long and a 3/16" through hole.
Doesn't seem too hard right.
I ended up making 12 bushings before I got 8 that were good enough to keep so I took a picture of each of them.
IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG
Sure glad that's over.

Thanks for looking
Ray

That's cool Ray, Thanks for sharing! Love the little distributor. I but that little motor is going sound so cool.

Thanks Tim and Boswell for the kind words.

Ray

I am hoping for a low rpm of 1000 or less and the high side of maybe 3000.
I like a slow running engine but that can be harder to do.

Ray

Over the last 50 years I've had a lot of experience of pressed up cranks in motorcycles, 1,2,3, and4 cylinder.
I thought you would do needle bearings in rods, not split them for plain bearings.
Of course, with needle bearings you need hardened crankpins which bronze bushings wont need.
You would also need some sort of press for a built up crank though, the interference fit is around 0.001" to 0.004" depending on shaft diameter, max rpm and expected power output.

Actually I had planed on using needle bearings for the rod bearings on this engine but I drilled the main block holes too large. Maybe I will try again on the next model.

Ray

Back