Lead Me Down The Right Path (New Motor)

I've used the Teco L510 series VFDs for several projects, from 1HP to 3HP. These do not need headroom; I use a 2HP model on 2HP mills, etc. The downside is that the 1HP and 2HP models do not have external braking resistors. That is why I was interested if the Hitachi has this feature.

I've used the Teco L510 series VFDs for several projects, from 1HP to 3HP. These do not need headroom; I use a 2HP model on 2HP mills, etc. The downside is that the 1HP and 2HP models do not have external braking resistors. That is why I was interested if the Hitachi has this feature.
I don't think that i need the 2hp version.. just know that i can get my hands on one.
Hitachi's do have connections for external breaking resistors.
Thank you sir for that!

The L510 does not support an external braking resistor, typically they are needed with lathes for fast stopping. The E510 does support a braking resistor. There is no need to oversize a VFD if it is rated for single phase input and the output amps are sufficient for the motor name plate amps when set for constant torque and normal/heavy duty settings. Newer VFD's can be a bit misleading as to their "Hp" ratings, so you do need to check the VFD specs. for the operating conditions of your motor. A three phase input VFD run off of single phase are usually derated by 50% these days.

The L510 does not support an external braking resistor, typically they are needed with lathes for fast stopping. The E510 does support a braking resistor. There is no need to oversize a VFD if it is rated for single phase input and the output amps are sufficient for the motor name plate amps when set for constant torque and normal/heavy duty settings. Newer VFD's can be a bit misleading as to their "Hp" ratings, so you do need to check the VFD specs. for the operating conditions of your motor. A three phase input VFD run off of single phase are usually derated by 50% these days.
i was looking at the 220v 1ph input 3 phase output VFD. I will go with the 1hp then, since it is less expensive.. i like that option

You do not need metal clad just use something like SOOW or even SJOOW 14/4, it is just a short distance.

Ok.. the VFD is ordered.. should i order a external resistor for breaking? If so, do you have a suggestion as to which one.. the VFD is a Hitachi WJ200-007SF

Well exposed terminals is something that would not prefer..so that will narrow down the choices.. thanks Mr M for the leads

Back