Lead Me Down The Right Path (New Motor)

@IamNotImportant since this is your first VFD, there's some stuff you need to know.

-If you can afford a VFD with an external braking resistor, that will help.
-It is much, much easier to put a VFD on a mill than on a lathe.

-No VFD is 'plug and play' You will be spending time configuring it. Be patient. the manual is very long, but many items you don't have to configure. The problem is that the manual won't tell you what the essentials are and which are not. If you have a digital version of your manual, some people here can help you with that.

-You need to know the current rating for your motor - it will be on the face plate.

-You have to set your VFD for Sensorless Vector Mode.

-You have to be sure you have the correct settings for the control buttons (we can cover that later)

-You need to set your acceleration and deceleration times. On my mills I use 5 seconds. Depending on you lathe and your VFD, this time will probably be more like 10 seconds+ I would start at 30 seconds and work my way down.. If your deceleration time is too short you can overload your VFD. It should be protected for this, but no need to trust that.

There's more but it is better if you view the videos first.
The VFD i was planning on getting is the Hitachi WJ200-015SF

The motor is a 230V 3ph 1750 rpm

what is the HP rating? Does the Hitachi support external braking resistor? Thye are usually about 100 ohms. You can buy theirs or use a old fashioned stove heat coil of the same resistance.

what is the HP rating? Does the Hitachi support external braking resistor? Thye are usually about 100 ohms. You can buy theirs or use a old fashioned stove heat coil of the same resistance.
the motor rating is 1hp, the VFD is 2hp.. so giving it a lil headroom

As for external breaking.. i would hope so, will have to check the manual, but this VFD seems to be a very popular one on this site.

@IamNotImportant Form the type of questions, you would benefit from watching this video. He explains why it is not just your VFD, and what components you need to add to make your system work properly:

Just a note here: you don't have to make your system as pretty as his, but he explains every trade-off he makes in doing this project.
oh and in this vid, that is the same exact motor as to the one i got..

Back