Lead Me Down The Right Path (New Motor)

IamNotImportant

Registered
Registered
Ok.. so i have been looking at motors and such for a while since i had gotten this lathe home. The original motor is a 440v 3ph motor. On another forum, i was told that a Lesson 192241 was a direct replacement. Come to later find out that that motor has been discontinued, there are still some sitting in warehouses, best price i found was 384.xx..
So yesterday, i decide to take the original motor to the local armature shop. They said that they could open it up and see if it can be rewired to 220v 3ph, but there lead time is pretty long right now. So, the fella there (the only one working in the shop at the time) has to help another customer. While i am waiting, what do i spy on the shelf.. none other than a brand new Lesson 192241 motor, 220v 3ph. And the price was right too.. let me have it for 300.xx out the door.

So now, i have it mounted right now for clearance check and what not. It is a lil longer than the original Elin motor, but i feel that i will be ok.. I am going to purchase a WJ200 VFD, as to which one, the 007 or the 015.

Here is a look at the motor installed

New Motor 3.jpeg

As you can see here, might have an issue with getting the wires to it, but i don't think that it will be that "big" of a deal

New Motor 4.jpeg

And from the front

New Motor 5.jpeg

More in a bit

Ok.. as for the wiring.. can i presume that the four wires that came from the wall to the box (the ones i am holding) be used to connect the VFD to the motor.

Power Wires.jpeg

You may be able to rotate the electrical box 180 degrees, wires usually come out down. Otherwise punch a hole in the side and you can get press in covers for the existing holes. Not sure where you are going to mount the VFD, I probably would power the VFD from the existing power switch and run a short length of cable from the VFD motor connections to the new motor, would be 14/3 (3 wires + ground)

You may be able to rotate the electrical box 180 degrees, wires usually come out down. Otherwise punch a hole in the side and you can get press in covers for the existing holes. Not sure where you are going to mount the VFD, I probably would power the VFD from the existing power switch and run a short length of cable from the VFD motor connections to the new motor, would be 14/3 (3 wires + ground)
i was going to mount the VFD on the side of the box on your right side behind where the door is swung open..

Power Box.jpeg

The "a1" switch is the power switch to the machine, take the leads from it and wire it in, in front of the VFD
Power Switch.jpeg

and yes.. i think that going through the panel on the motor that the bolts are.. would the best "alternative"

those wires that i pointed out, they are solid wires.. is it correct that they should be stranded wire?

I wouldn’t think mounting the VFD on the motor would be a good idea for two reasons.
Heat, number one.
You will want easy access to the VFD controls also.
My two cents.
Good price for that motor!

You should use flexible stranded wire, I would not recommend solid wire in a vibration environment. You also do not want loose cables between the motor and the enclosure, a single electrical cable is easier then flexible conduit with separate wires. The motor electrical boxes are typically removable, they have screws go into the motor body. Just be aware that the NEMA 1 VFD's are open for cooling so you do not want chips falling in from the top. If you mount it on the side, I would put a chip shield 2-3" above the VFD.

I wouldn’t think mounting the VFD on the motor would be a good idea for two reasons.
Heat, number one.
You will want easy access to the VFD controls also.
My two cents.
Good price for that motor!
i wasn't thinking of mounting the VFD on the "motor.. but to the right of the box that is above it or on the top of that box that holds all the electrical stuff on it right now.

Back