Lathe Change Gear Lubrication

Well I've been reading this post with a lot of interest.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a new to me lathe - and the one thing I can say about lubing change gears is DON'T do what the PO did on my lathe.

It looks like white grease that a cat got stuck in. It dried hard and seems to have FUR in it. Could be mouse fur as the lathe was stored in a outdoor garage and they may have been eating the grease. but it takes a lot of effort to clean them up. I will be looking for something that leaves very little residue to attract dirt and grime.

I wonder if he used the lathe for turning wood, or maybe just used it in a wood shop with sawdust floating around. You're right, that's quite a mess.

On my first lathe, the PO used it for turning wood. It was a mess, but not that bad.

GG

I've seen grease do this when you mix synthetic grease with petroleum grease. They don't mix well.

I guess I probably should lube mine. They're external (some crappy sheet metal enclosure over top) and used only for threading, disengaged otherwise. Cast iron, never lubed em, they still look new. I always oil the shaft they turn on for some reason but never consider the teeth. I think I'll just use what I use on the ways. I've gotta take them off for every different thread anyway, might as well not use something that needs more than a rag to clean.

I have some differential oil that I use. All hypoid gear oils have extreme pressure additives but, E.P. additives are not necessary for straight cut gears. Some truck transmissions call for straight 30 weight engine oil because the gears are straight, not angled. I just drip a little on the gears while they rotate. Messy but, effective and cheap.

I use diff oil as well and my change gears looked messy like yours when I puchased my SB9A so I took everything apart and cleaned. I don't know how the gears got so mucked up since they're out of the way and mostly enclosed

I'm shocked that someone uses exactly the same stuff I use.....

Motorcycle chain lube...designed to stay in place and pick up minimal dirt. Perfect for the gears in a lather

Maxima Synthetic Clear Chain Guard

Back