Lathe Change Gear Lubrication

I have some differential oil that I use. All hypoid gear oils have extreme pressure additives but, E.P. additives are not necessary for straight cut gears. Some truck transmissions call for straight 30 weight engine oil because the gears are straight, not angled. I just drip a little on the gears while they rotate. Messy but, effective and cheap.

I use 90w-140 differential oil as well. Royal Purple specifically. I had a couple of extra quarts left over after I rebuilt my differential. It is sticky and clings to the gears pretty well. It drips out to a certain degree, but still leaves a good film of lubrication. I used it as assembly lube when I rebuilt my QCGB, and it helps the gears run smooth and quiet.

GG

Motorcycle chain lube, comes in a 16 oz aerosol can with a straw for putting it where it needs to go. After a minute or 2, the solvent evaporates and leaves a heavy waxy lube on the gears...Never flies off

STP ( auto supply stores .......lightly oil & then a dab of STP & it stays put ......been using same can 30 yrs
best wishes
doc

NAPA sells a product called "open gear lube" part # 1366.
It is made for this application.

NAPA sells a product called "open gear lube" part # 1366.
It is made for this application.

I'll bite. $6.93 for 11.25 ounce can. Reserved and I'll pick it up on my way home.
Dave

I'll report back on how it works.

Motorcycle chain lube, comes in a 16 oz aerosol can with a straw for putting it where it needs to go. After a minute or 2, the solvent evaporates and leaves a heavy waxy lube on the gears...Never flies off

Same here, I use a left over can of Motul motorcycle chain lube. As said, dries and leaves a waxy film that doesn't fling off & attract dust/dirt/debris like oil. Make my gears a lot quieter.

Amsoil's Heavy Duty Metal Protector goes on wet, then dries, great for cycle chains and many uses. It comes in a 16 oz. spray can with the tube nozzle insert. It does not sling off and works in the same way as the Motul and is manufactured in Wisconsin.

I bought a can of powdered WS2 and mix it in with regular way oil for my end train gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back