will get to trying it out soon:)

took awhile but I tried it.
$25 a can
cleaned off grease & used this.
I coated it pretty good & it looks like nothing is there...........scarry!, lol
Now I think gears are going to wear out right away..........I am going to try

Motul motorcycle chain lube $12 a can

at least I'll be able to see the stuff:jester:

Motorcycle chain lube, comes in a 16 oz aerosol can with a straw for putting it where it needs to go. After a minute or 2, the solvent evaporates and leaves a heavy waxy lube on the gears...Never flies off

Ditto. I use the clear chain lube.

Bar and chain lube works quit well. It is cheap and you can get it every where. Stays put and doesn't colect debree.

I tried this a while back----works good.

Having tried a few greases and having them fling off (messy), try paraffin wax. It is a lubricant, and seems to stay put. You can hear the gear train quiet when it's applied. :thinking:

Having tried a few greases and having them fling off (messy), try paraffin wax. It is a lubricant, and seems to stay put. You can hear the gear train quiet when it's applied. :thinking:

how did you apply it?
get a bar of it & just JAM in it there while running???

Not quite ... I know this whole thing is pretty old school, but just hold a suitably sized piece "lightly" against the gear while it's rotating. Just like with the greases it will carry to the next gear etc. Might have to apply to more than one gear...Not a lot, because it "should" hang around well ...if there's not a lot of oil on there already. Best part is it's easy to keep handy and use as necessary. One of the ways grease once was actually made is to mix heated wax with oil to get the consistency needed. I've seen that it's mixed to use on chains also. I've only used paraffin wax because it's an oil based product separated from the crude in the refinery.
:noidea:Beeswax ?? eh ??

Not quite ... I know this whole thing is pretty old school, but just hold a suitably sized piece "lightly" against the gear while it's rotating. Just like with the greases it will carry to the next gear etc. Might have to apply to more than one gear...Not a lot, because it "should" hang around well ...if there's not a lot of oil on there already. Best part is it's easy to keep handy and use as necessary. One of the ways grease once was actually made is to mix heated wax with oil to get the consistency needed. I've seen that it's mixed to use on chains also. I've only used paraffin wax because it's an oil based product separated from the crude in the refinery.
:noidea:Beeswax ?? eh ??

that is something to think about, thx:)

Well I've been reading this post with a lot of interest.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a new to me lathe - and the one thing I can say about lubing change gears is DON'T do what the PO did on my lathe.

It looks like white grease that a cat got stuck in. It dried hard and seems to have FUR in it. Could be mouse fur as the lathe was stored in a outdoor garage and they may have been eating the grease. but it takes a lot of effort to clean them up. I will be looking for something that leaves very little residue to attract dirt and grime.
DSC06159.JPG

DSC06159.JPG

Well I've been reading this post with a lot of interest.

I'm in the process of cleaning up a new to me lathe - and the one thing I can say about lubing change gears is DON'T do what the PO did on my lathe.

It looks like white grease that a cat got stuck in. It dried hard and seems to have FUR in it. Could be mouse fur as the lathe was stored in a outdoor garage and they may have been eating the grease. but it takes a lot of effort to clean them up. I will be looking for something that leaves very little residue to attract dirt and grime.

• :))
View attachment 93230

:)) Looks like grease and mouse hair is a pretty good rust preventive ><><>

• :))

Back