Lathe Change Gear Lubrication

Sandia

Active User
Registered
What do you guys use for a lube on the change gears on your lathes. The manual with my lathe does not even mention servicing this part.

I have some differential oil that I use. All hypoid gear oils have extreme pressure additives but, E.P. additives are not necessary for straight cut gears. Some truck transmissions call for straight 30 weight engine oil because the gears are straight, not angled. I just drip a little on the gears while they rotate. Messy but, effective and cheap.

I use moly grease but my gears are protected by a cover. This grease is nice and thick and sticks like the proverbial to a wool blanket.

Paul.

Bar and chain lube works quit well. It is cheap and you can get it every where. Stays put and doesn't colect debree.

I use this on the open gears that need a little lubricant that will stay put.
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-hhs-k-high-pressure-lubricant.html
A can will last a couple years.
Dave
I may take a look at this stuff, Thanks.

I use moly grease but my gears are protected by a cover. This grease is nice and thick and sticks like the proverbial to a wool blanket.

Paul.

I have been using a chassis grease and it works ok, just slings it everywhere inside the cabinet.

Are they open or enclosed in a gear box?

Xalky, the gears are enclosed in the gear box .

Xalky, the gears are enclosed in the gear box .
I guess the question was , are they in a wet sump. Both of my lathes change gear boxes , for threading and feed, are in wet sumps, that I fill with hydraulic fluid.

The external gears at the end of the head stock are open, I use moly grease on those.

Back