Keyed chuck repair

I read over and over about problems with various drill chucks. I have several Albrecht keyless chucks. I have retired every one of them. Yes, the keyless feature is very nice. But, after jamming tight on a few drill bits. And I also like to feel the torque that I’m applying (this can be easily done with a key chuck, not so easy with a keyless). For these two reasons I dislike the keyless. The keyless chucks that I have are retired from my shop. I also have several Jacobs key chucks, some regular and some Super. Both types of Jacobs chucks work well for me. I’m more concerned about concentricity than how the chuck spins to open and close. So the Super thing is not that big a deal for me. The Jacobs chucks I have all perform great and they have been for decades and I suspect they still will after I’m gone. I do not have problems will the drill chucks that I use…Dave
View attachment 237986
All the keyless got retired!
How about selling one of the smaller ones , I need one for tiny drills.

Chip,At some point in your life you must have loved keyless chucks very much to have so many.

Last edited:
Chip,At some point in your life you must have loved keyless chucks very much to have so many.
Ken, a REAL toolaholic and tool hoarder keeps buying them as often as he can find them for a good deal. The fact that he already has multiple duplicates or never uses them does not even enter into the picture... I don't do that, really, really, REALLY I DON'T! :eek:

That's my hope for my future as well, I don't have much but I would still hate to leave the burden of selling it all to my wife or my son, I look around on the local classified and there's a surge of estate sales lately ,can't help thinking, someday it may be my turn.

Been thinking about this too. The little bit of junk that I disposed of I already miss!
I'm thinking maybe make a video of all the stuff in the shop like for insurance purposes. Then scout around for auction houses that could step in on short notice after I am gone, to liquidate all my junk. Its not junk to me but it is to everybody else. It is only worth the pleasure I get from it while I'm here and it becomes a burden for someone when I go. So I hope to leave a solid plan with phone numbers for my family to expedite my junk when the time comes. I just hope they wait till I'm gone :eek:

Looks like I'm not the only one that does not like the Albrecht chucks. I'll take a good
Jacobs ball bearing Super Chuck any day...

Back