Keyed chuck repair

I bought a Chinese chick off amazon i just kept looking until I found one with good reviews. its no albrecht but i get .002 runout with it.

better than the old Jacobs I had. I had a keyless chuck I got from shars. It would do about .005

I read over and over about problems with various drill chucks. I have several Albrecht keyless chucks. I have retired every one of them. Yes, the keyless feature is very nice. But, after jamming tight on a few drill bits. And I also like to feel the torque that I’m applying (this can be easily done with a key chuck, not so easy with a keyless). For these two reasons I dislike the keyless. The keyless chucks that I have are retired from my shop. I also have several Jacobs key chucks, some regular and some Super. Both types of Jacobs chucks work well for me. I’m more concerned about concentricity than how the chuck spins to open and close. So the Super thing is not that big a deal for me. The Jacobs chucks I have all perform great and they have been for decades and I suspect they still will after I’m gone. I do not have problems will the drill chucks that I use…Dave
chucks1.JPG
All the keyless got retired!

Last edited:
Just keep looking until you find one with good reviews
Sorry Seanb couldn't resist
I hate when these things change your words

I use Albright chucks on lathe and mill , drillpress has a 16n super chuck for S & D drills and hole saws and regular drills.

I do not use self tightening chucks in my shop, the fact that they open up in reverse rotation gets in the way all too many times; holding taps in the lathe or mill being a good example. I also use left hand drills to remove broken threaded fasteners, another good example. I have a number of Jacobs ball bearing Super Chucks, but do not especially gravitate to using them, as all too many times the bulky body gets in the way of other tooling or machine / job clearance conflicts.

I read over and over about problems with various drill chucks. I have several Albrecht keyless chucks. I have retired every one of them. Yes, the keyless feature is very nice. But, after jamming tight on a few drill bits. And I also like to feel the torque that I’m applying (this can be easily done with a key chuck, not so easy with a keyless). For these two reasons I dislike the keyless. The keyless chucks that I have are retired from my shop. I also have several Jacobs key chucks, some regular and some Super. Both types of Jacobs chucks work well for me. I’m more concerned about concentricity than how the chuck spins to open and close. So the Super thing is not that big a deal for me. The Jacobs chucks I have all perform great and they have been for decades and I suspect they still will after I’m gone. I do not have problems will the drill chucks that I use…Dave
View attachment 237986
All the keyless got retired!
You are always talking about the clutter in your shop. I will help you out by removing that drawer of "junk" from your shop, OK?

Back