Just Ordered a PM1127-VF LB!!

lpeedin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just got off the phone with Matt at Quality Machine Tools. He has another shipment due to arrive in about 4-5 weeks. Now I get to work on rearranging the garage to accommodate this new blue machine. I currently have a HF x2 mini mill, but will probably be stepping up to something bigger next year.

Here is the question, where are you guys stocking up on your lathe tooling at? Is it the typical places like Shars, ebay, etc? I am obviously just a garage tinkerer and not getting into production work, so I am not worried about having the highest end tooling that can possibly be purchased.

Thanks,

Congrats!

I buy from Enco, MSC, ebay, & sometimes Travers. Travers & Rutland are local to me so sometimes that works out best. Rutland is now MSC so I now have a MSC outlet which is great to just walk in & grab what I need. MSC is more expensive than other most of the time but my account somehow gets an automatic discount & my sales rep often gives me discounts on top.

I mostly buy my inserts from ebay. Ebay used to great but the deals aren't as great as they used to be. When buying new tooling off ebay always check the sellers website or another vendor, I find you can get it cheaper outside of ebay. Except Shars though, buying through them on ebay is cheaper most of the time because of their shipping rates.

Oh and sometimes I buy tooling from Amazon believe it or not. I have Prime so often it works out with faster delivery & good prices.

I buy most of my stuff through Shars on Ebay. The I buy inserts and other oft replaced items from a variety of sellers Like all industrial tool supply and Merlin tools as well as the Tool supermarket. Just gotta watch the shipping costs because they are sometimes hidden and you have to look hard to find them.

Bob

Congrats!

I buy from Enco, MSC, ebay, & sometimes Travers. Travers & Rutland are local to me so sometimes that works out best. Rutland is now MSC so I now have a MSC outlet which is great to just walk in & grab what I need. MSC is more expensive than other most of the time but my account somehow gets an automatic discount & my sales rep often gives me discounts on top.

I mostly buy my inserts from ebay. Ebay used to great but the deals aren't as great as they used to be. When buying new tooling off ebay always check the sellers website or another vendor, I find you can get it cheaper outside of ebay. Except Shars though, buying through them on ebay is cheaper most of the time because of their shipping rates.

Oh and sometimes I buy tooling from Amazon believe it or not. I have Prime so often it works out with faster delivery & good prices.

I did some browsing at Amazon, was surprised at how much stuff they stock, as well as the prices.
And with a Prime membership, freight is free. Usually, I have most things within 2 days... I think Amazon has a warehouse somewhere close... but not in GA, as I rarely pay sales tax.

I did some browsing at Amazon, was surprised at how much stuff they stock, as well as the prices.
And with a Prime membership, freight is free. Usually, I have most things within 2 days... I think Amazon has a warehouse somewhere close... but not in GA, as I rarely pay sales tax.

Yup I too was amazed when I discovered it. They even stock some Grizzly stuff. I bought 2 SouthBend branded Grizzly backplates from Amazon, they stocked them & with Prime it came out cheaper & got it quicker than getting them if from Grizzly. I don't normally order from Grizzly but I do like their blank SB branded backplates.

That's good to know Will. I wondered about their quality.

I too was skeptical about their South Bend branded stuff. Just thought it was the typical overpriced "brand" name sort of deal that's all too common these days. I'm not familiar with all the cast iron grades & wondered what this "fine grain" cast iron was. When I saw them on Amazon I figured I'd give one a try.

This is the first SB branded backplate that I got, see how shiny it is. Looked pretty nice but it machined very nice too (finish).

Img_8468.jpg

Img_9056.jpg

That ended up being for this:

Img_9141.jpg

Now the second SB branded backplate (again from Amazon) did not look so nice out the box. It looked like it had a scale or rust on it. But in the end it ended up machining nice too, not as nice as the first one I got but much better than the typical China cast iron backplates that I'm used to that are dull gray. I'm not sure if their are actually a better grade but I guess so. And that first D1-4 fit my spindle with very little runout or adjustments needed to it, I measured only .0002"-.0004" TIR on it depending on which holes I clocked it in.

Img_8468.jpg

Img_9056.jpg

Img_9141.jpg

I bought the SB 4-jaw for my lathe along with a few other South Bend branded pieces from Grizzly, and so far everything has been good to go right out of the box. I am pretty impressed with the fit/finish. A little spendy, but then I don't have to dork around with it to get it working correctly.

What size qctp comes on this lathe, I forgot to ask Matt when I ordered the machine? I am trying to figure out what is the max size of the tooling I should be looking at.

That size lathe would use an AXA but IIRC at one point they came with a 40 pos tool post (Multifix clone), probably Aa size. Either way 1/2" max tool shank.

Back