Is This What A Machined Surface Should Look Like?

To be honest, do you REALLY want to keep that lathe? It seems that more issues could pop up, just as they have been doing.

It sux that the machinery dealer haa no clue how the machine operates or how it is put together, fortunately he SEEMS to be trying to make you happy. I can see hesitation on their part to let you take a lathe apart but they should be willing to honor a full warranty for anything that goes wrong during that period. How would you know in 30 days something is wrong if you haven't used it? I agree on the buyers remorse angle.

Good luck.

I have the same lathe , and many of the same " type " problems. King warranty is junk. my lathe bed has flaws and was told to live with voids in the cast!

it makes me mad that a company would put out such junk.
take King off the list of decent manufacturers.

I find it almost unbelievable that a "dealer" that sells this equipment would know nothing about this equipment! What the heck? Seems like he is trying to help but having to explain everything to him and hold his hand would make me even more upset. I would just get my money back for a defective product if that is a option. I doubt that this lathe is ever going to be right and I would not even trust replacement parts.

I'm going through the Grizzly forum to see if I can find some pics of similar issues and come across a new thread by Planeflyer that shows the underside of his G4003 tailstock and it looks like similar machining to that on the underside of my saddle. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/tsclampnut-jpg.124191/ Is this normal for these import lathes? Am I expecting too much? I don't want to be causing a ruckus if it is not warranted but I also don't want to keep something that will become a problem. Maybe all of these lathes look like that on the undercarriage of the saddle and tailstock. I don't have any other references to view since my dealer does not have any lathes on display.

Toolmaster; no facebook page that I could find.

I've uploaded some detail pics of my old 9x20 lathe, which is a fairly basic small lathe, it has a reasonable machined surfaces, I think it was made in tiwan.

Theirs a few marks that could be porosity in the casting but most are just damage from use. Theirs also a detail of the way the gib fits.

If you go into my profile and look at my 9x20 picture gallery their in their.

Stuart

Been doing a little searching, King is made in Asia, naturally. I believe it's Taiwan. I've not seen any great reviews about them, so it seems that this is the norm. The cost is atrocious especially for the quality. I'm just spit balling here but for the kind of money being spent, you might be able to buy a good used lathe in the states, have it shipped to you and still be ahead of the game?

Is the bed hardened? I took a very quick look at King's site and didn't see any mention of hardened bed and ways. If it was advertised as being hardened, ask for a new bed. Somehow this one missed the ovens.
I hope you can get your new machine sorted out.

Do you not have any consumer laws that say an item must be "fit for purpose" and "of merchantable quality" over there that you can hit them with?
That lathe is truly horrible and misses both those targets by miles.

Back