Is This What A Machined Surface Should Look Like?

"I also like the price $200. It might have gone up a little since that ad was posted lol."

I think you misread the ad. it is a Logan Model 200 the price is $1,250.
At least it is in Canada so you won't have to pay any additional tax bringing one in from the U.S.

The $200 was in reference to the old ad that John Hasler linked in post #46. The original price was $200 FOB Chicago , whenever that ad was posted, waaaaay back in time. The asking price for the lathe currently listed for sale in Kijiji is $1,250.

No reply from the owner of the Logan yet and here is an update on the current lathe.

I called the dealer this morning and as luck would have it, he has 3 lathes that just arrived at his store. Two are still crated and presold. The 3rd has been damaged but is on a stand, so I can look at it and take apart the parts I am concerned with to see if those ones are better. Off I go to town again. I inspect the damaged lathe with the store owner. I point out the compound gib and that it is sitting flush with the dovetail, unlike mine. Then I check the half nut engagement to see if it moves the leadscrew and it doesn't. I have now convinced him that I am not making up these problems with my lathe and that there is something wrong with it. I brought the entire carriage assembly with me just in case. He told me to go ahead and swap out the parts. I now have them at home and I'm in the process of cleaning all the shipping gunk off of them and assembling them on to my lathe. The underside of the saddle ways is slightly better than the one I took in but the compound way is well seated. The half nuts still move the leadscrew but not as much as the old carriage. I looked at the half nut assembly and figured a way I could machine it to engage better, if I have to. I think I will keep this lathe for a while and see how it goes. I still have a over 1 1/2 years of warranty left to fall back on, plus a dealer that is very helpful. But for now I will use it and keep a watchful eye on the know issues.

Hopefully I can put this out of my mind for a while and focus on using the lathe and new milling machine. But first I have to keep my promise to my wife and make her a hope chest.

Thanks to everyone here for the help and input.

30 or other limit for returns is common but when a warranty claim is made clock stops.

Contact consumer affairs in your state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I don't think Canada has the same type of laws we have in the States to protect the consumer.

Does not hurt to check.

Also note that is the lead screw moves when 1/2 nuts closed then something is out of alignment.

Try at each end of the bed as it could be the support at the right side.

It also could be miss matched carriage that was designed for a different lathe so to speak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I looked at the half nut assembly and figured a way I could machine it to engage better, if I have to. I think I will keep this lathe for a while and see how it goes. I still have a over 1 1/2 years of warranty left to fall back on, plus a dealer that is very helpful. But for now I will use it and keep a watchful eye on the know issues.

As soon as y0ou start machining parts, you can kiss the "warranty" goodbye. Just Say'in. Frankly, I can't believe they are even allowing you to swap parts. More power to you. As for me, I would just want out.

Some times nowadays you don't even get what you pay for

In the process of assembling the new carriage parts, I discover the bottom plate that secures the front, underside of the saddle to the bed ways, is loose. I tighten it as much as reasonably possible only to find that it will not contact the underside of the bedways and the saddle can be lifted up and down. This is not a big deal to fix, I already did it on the saddle I just returned. But that was the straw that broke the camels back. Now I've had enough. I call the dealer and tell him what's going on and that I'm fed up with fixing my new lathe. He asks what I want to do and I tell him I want my money back and I will another lathe somewhere else. He said they have sold a lot of those lathes and aren't aware of other people having issues with them. So either I'm just looking for problems or other owners aren't informing him of their problems. He was very good about the whole thing and agreed to give me a full refund. I thanked him and with the knowledge I will get my money back, I start looking for a new lathe.

I check out the Busy Bee website and they have a similar 10" x 20" lathe with variable speed and left hand threading capabilities, $500 more, until tomorrow then it goes up $200. I'm excited and call the closest dealer to discuss looking at it and warranty period / warranty claim process. This is the second time I called and talked to the same person and he recognizes my voice. I explain the issues I've had with a competitors lathe and that I'm getting a refund and will be getting a new lathe immediately. He says they have one in stock and it's in a crate. They will take the top off the crate so I can look at it but I cannot operate any of the controls. They have the next size up on the floor and I can operate that one to see how it feels. The warranty is 3 years on parts and 90 days on labour. Their policy on returns is 15% restocking fee if it is unopened (don't like that one). Since they are 5 to 6 hrs away I'm concerned that if I have any issues it will be a hassle to deal with. This could be a big issue, so I decide to check the internet for reviews on the CX706. I find a few reviews / threads about Craftex lathes and Busy Bee in general and after reading those reviews I've decided not to get a Busy Bee machine. Based on some threads in this forum, their after sales service / warranty is beyond terrible. If parts are needed they will likely come from China and that will take several months.

One of the members on this forum has a thread about his experience with his new Busy Bee lathe that had a catastrophic failure with less than 10 hrs on it. He went through h*ll and a long process just to get the company to agree there was a manufacturing flaw and agree to provide replacement parts but he had to pay for shipping. He was dealing with the same Busy Bee dealer I was talking to. I found other threads that echoed similar experiences and based on that info I have decided not to get a lathe from that company. In fact I've decided to keep the lathe I have, knowing that I have a dealer that will bend over backwards to work with me to resolve any issues I have. I called him back and told him of my decision and the reasons for it. I also told him I would fix the saddle clamp issue. He thanked me for loyalty and said to "use the bejesus out of the lathe" during the warranty period and if there are any issues he will look after me. At least I know I WILL get great service from him. Oh ya King has a parts warehouse in Quebec so parts are only days or a week or so away. I know that for sure because they sent me a new motor for my recently purchased milling machine and I had that within a week.

A big thumbs up :eagerness: for Rod at KMS Tools in Kamloops for being a stand up, customer oriented dealer. No I don't have any affiliation with him or KMS Tools and if you read the whole thread it will be obvious.

Last edited:
Back