Is This What A Machined Surface Should Look Like?

It's too late to return it. Besides I've put a lot of work into this one and don't want to start over with another machine. After having a lathe I will not go without one and there are very limited choices around here for $2000. I looked for a few months for a used lathe and they were all well over that price or had some serious flaw if the price was close. The only other option is to get a lathe from Busy Bee but their machines don't have a very good rep either and they are a lot further away from me.

I don't feel bad about going back to the dealer. It's more like I don't like the feeling I get about them thinking I,m too fussy or don't know what I'm talking about. That's why I asked questions here. I'm no machinist but I think those sections of the saddle that ride on the ways should be machined to a smooth surface, just like the cross slide and compound slide. If I'm wrong then I would rather be told so by people here. I have a lot more faith in the opinions I get on this forum than some of the input I get from the dealers staff. Like the statement " we've sold a ton of those and never had any issues before". Insinuating that I must be too fussy or don't know what I'm talking about. But I can put up with that if I know that I'm right and there needs to be something done to fix or replace a defective part. After all the warranty states that defective manufactured parts will be replaced at no cost to me, other than getting the machine to the nearest service center. So far I have done all the labor in removing, replacing and repairing defective parts and don't really mind since that is less time consuming, less costly and less hassle than having to load the machine onto the truck and haul it to the nearest service center that's 3 1/2 hrs away.

You should take full pictures of it all, ways/screws/paint spills / any other issues and post them hear, then post them to the ceo or qc manager for the company, they may upgrade you for the level of hassle you have had with the lathe so far. I'm not saying the basic lathe they sell has to have a flaked finnish on all serfices but it should definetly be much much better than that.

I don't think you can be too strong about how that isn't supposed to be like that.

The manufacturers site does say they take quality seriously so it could be a failure with a batch that has just slipped through. If they say that sort of thing they should stand by it.

Stuart

That is horrible, I've seen better looking ways on machines at the scrap yard while scrounging for steel.

I agree with the suggestion to take it back, it doesn't seem like this equipment is developing a good track record.

that has got to be the worst quality lathe i have ever seen.
if you can work with it, my hat is off to you.
i'd be very tempted to load it up in my pick up and take it back to them- whether i came back with another lathe or not. ( i'd rather have nothing than something this bad :mad:)
i'm sorry to say that you will be in for some serious tail chasing if you try to use or repair that lathe

I can't take it back. Company policy is 30 days from purchase date and it must be unused. Even if I could take it back then what? The only options around here are; 1) get another King Product, 2) get a Busy Bee product, 3) get a new southbend (no way on earth am I spending that much for a hobby lathe that only gets occasional use) or 4) get something used. The used stuff around here is very pricey or garbage in my price range. Doesn't leave many viable options. The only realistic option that I see at this stage is to get a new saddle that is properly made and carry on with this lathe. As I noted earlier, there have been a lot of issues with this lathe that I have worked through and I hope this is the last one.

If the saddle is that soft, what is the bed ways like?
I'd definitely get them to replace the saddle and cross slide.
Hopefully with one that has harder ways than those were.

There is a supplier I've seen a couple of posts by members that seems like a good dude to deal with, hopefully someone here can supply his name. Give him a call and see what shipping is like, can't hurt.:dunno:

I think that's insane. Definitely a brand name I'll stay away from. Sorry to hear of your problems but I would return that and go with a different brand or buy something used with a proven track record. I've been saying it for years. You almost can't buy quality anymore no matter how much money you spend. EVERYTHING is JUNK! When I buy a new tool or machine, I try to buy better than I can afford. I figure the cost will be offset by the tool lasting years. Still, more often than not, it's still junk!

Back