Is this a good buy for first mic??

In case you're interested, this is the 1-2" version. In my experience, having a 0-1 and 1-2 will suit most of the needs for hobby guys. I would have at least these two as you will use them the most. Beyond that, cheaper ebay mics will usually do.

In case you're interested, this is the 1-2" version. In my experience, having a 0-1 and 1-2 will suit most of the needs for hobby guys. I would have at least these two as you will use them the most. Beyond that, cheaper ebay mics will usually do.
I need a 2-3" and I'm torn whether to suck it up and go with Mitutoyo digital, Chinese digital, or used Starrett/Mitu/etc. vernier mics like my 0-1 and 1-2. The 2-3" Mitu electronic digitals seem to run around $300 which is higher than my gag factor. There are a couple sets on eBay, but I'm a bit gunshy of used gear at the moment.

What's a decent, affordable, 2-3" mic, or should I just buck up and get a Mitu set of 1-3"?

The bigger you go, the more expensive mics tend to be. As I noted, the most used will be a 0-1", followed by a 1-2". For those, I think going with digital Mit mics is a good idea. Mitutoyo is the market leader for digital metrology tools for very good reasons and I personally think they are worth the investment. Beyond 2", though, I think analog mics are acceptable because we don't use them that much in the typical hobby shop.

For analog mics, the Swiss make the most accurate mics in my opinion. I prefer Tesa or Etalon mics (made by the same factory). The best ones will have carbide faces. Here is a Tesa that looks to be in okay shape and has carbide faces. You can generally tell how much a mic has been used by the condition of the black insulator on the frame and this one looks like the mic has not seen that much use. I think this is a good buy, Evan.

I need a 2-3" and I'm torn whether to suck it up and go with Mitutoyo digital, Chinese digital, or used Starrett/Mitu/etc. vernier mics like my 0-1 and 1-2. The 2-3" Mitu electronic digitals seem to run around $300 which is higher than my gag factor. There are a couple sets on eBay, but I'm a bit gunshy of used gear at the moment.

What's a decent, affordable, 2-3" mic, or should I just buck up and get a Mitu set of 1-3"?

If you want to buy new, why not buy a Mitutoyo analog 2-3"? Cheaper than digital, but a good quality tool.
Having said that, as long as you aren't in a hurry I think you can find perfectly good used tools.
My mics were all purchased used, and they're just fine.

These folks sell reconditioned tools at reasonable prices and
allows you to avoid eBay etc. I bought a 1-2" Tesa from them and was happy with what they sent me.

Here's a Mitutoyo: https://shop.idealprec.com/collecti...-2-3-range-0001-graduation-used-reconditioned

Or a Starrett: https://shop.idealprec.com/collecti...r-2-3-range-001-graduation-used-reconditioned

Last edited:
The bigger you go, the more expensive mics tend to be. As I noted, the most used will be a 0-1", followed by a 1-2". For those, I think going with digital Mit mics is a good idea. Mitutoyo is the market leader for digital metrology tools for very good reasons and I personally think they are worth the investment. Beyond 2", though, I think analog mics are acceptable because we don't use them that much in the typical hobby shop.

For analog mics, the Swiss make the most accurate mics in my opinion. I prefer Tesa or Etalon mics (made by the same factory). The best ones will have carbide faces. Here is a Tesa that looks to be in okay shape and has carbide faces. You can generally tell how much a mic has been used by the condition of the black insulator on the frame and this one looks like the mic has not seen that much use. I think this is a good buy, Evan.
Done. Mike you’re enablement duties are done for today.

If you want to buy new, why not buy a Mitutoyo analog 2-3"? Cheaper than digital, but a good quality tool.
Having said that, as long as you aren't in a hurry I think you can find perfectly good used tools.
My mics were all purchased used, and they're just fine.

These folks sell reconditioned tools at reasonable prices and
allows you to avoid eBay etc. I bought a 1-2" Tesa from them and was happy with what they sent me.

Here's one: https://shop.idealprec.com/collecti...-2-3-range-0001-graduation-used-reconditioned

Or a Starrett: https://shop.idealprec.com/collecti...r-2-3-range-001-graduation-used-reconditioned
I like the digital as my eyes age. Was thinking mechanical but electronic is growing on me.

Confusing, isn't it!!??
I sure hope I ordered the right one??

Back