Is this a good buy for first mic??

Starrett makes good measuring tools. As for the first mic, hard to say, A 0-1" and a 1-2" I would say is a good start. This puts you half way there. You can add to that a telescoping gauge set and you have the basics to build on for most of the work you may do. You can always add sizes as the need arises but being able to measure 0-2" will get you on a very good start.

In my opinion, yes. You will use the .001 to 1.00 more frequently but it's a good quality mic for a fair price.

So I should also look for a 1"-2" in addition to the 0-1"?

If I'm reading the ad correctly, that is a 1" - 2", not a 0 - 1". Starrett is a very good brand in my limited experience. I agree with Jeff that both those sizes are a good start. Those are the ones I've used the most and only rarely have I used the larger sizes.

Regards,
Terry

Yes, I believe you are correct on the 1-2"
Was also looking at a 0-1" as well.

Maybe the two are available as a set?

Found another 463-P, but the printed box label says "without ratchet stop and without lock nut"??
What's that all about??

Last edited:
You'll use the 0-1" the most so you certainly want one of those. Starrett are nice but there are other good brands like Lufkin also
-Mark

I never liked Starrett's 436 line. Finish is just "OK" and not as easy to read as other brand mics. Sold my 0-6 set on E-bay. I found other brands out there that I liked.

Nice micrometer at a reasonable price, but the listing shows thousandths reading, not tenths. That might not
matter to you right now, but I'd hold out for a tenths reading mic. While you're at it, a mic with carbide faces
would be a good idea as well.

If you're buying your first mic, it should probably be 0-1". There are tons of Mitutoyo mics on eBay in good
condition, and on average prices are better than Starrett. I'd look there.

Last edited:
When I started in the business the required tools included a 0"-1" micrometer, a 1"-2" micrometer, a 2"-3" micrometer, a 6" dial caliper, and a 6" rule. The micrometers were the same style as the one you're looking at. The scale and caliper were also Starrett.

I still have all of them, and the micrometers still look like new. Had I known a bit more at the time I probably would have purchased micrometers with the ratchet thimble. They all work fine, the ratchet thimble just makes learning to use them easier. No matter how hard you try to tighten the thimble it will only go to the proper amount needed for measuring. You can't over tighten them like you might with the more basic one you're looking at.

Back