Is this a good buy for first mic??

I found some very very cheap micrometers in a thrifties / overflow type store at around $9.00 each.
I purchased 2 to cut up for my Ronchi/foucault tester.
Imagine my surprise when I tested them on some gauge rods and found them absolutely spot on.
My garsted was well and truly flabbered.

I found some very very cheap micrometers in a thrifties / overflow type store at around $9.00 each.
I purchased 2 to cut up for my Ronchi/foucault tester.
Imagine my surprise when I tested them on some gauge rods and found them absolutely spot on.
My garsted was well and truly flabbered.
Sometimes you get lucky like that. Congrats.

If I were you, I would consider going with a brand new Mitutoyo digital mic with carbide faces. This is one of the best deals I've seen on a new Mit digital mic: IP65 Waterproof rated. Auto On/Off. Ratchet stop. Carbide measuring faces. Supplied in fitted plastic case. Accurate to 0.00005".

Ordinarily, I would suggest Swiss made analog mics like Tesa, Etalon or Browne & Sharpe but I've switched over to Mitutoyo digitals and can attest to their accuracy. Even their digital calipers (the real ones, not the counterfeits) are incredibly accurate. Carbide faces will last a lifetime in a hobby shop if not abused. Might want to consider them at this price.

If I were you, I would consider going with a brand new Mitutoyo digital mic with carbide faces. This is one of the best deals I've seen on a new Mit digital mic: IP65 Waterproof rated. Auto On/Off. Ratchet stop. Carbide measuring faces. Supplied in fitted plastic case. Accurate to 0.00005".

Ordinarily, I would suggest Swiss made analog mics like Tesa, Etalon or Browne & Sharpe but I've switched over to Mitutoyo digitals and can attest to their accuracy. Even their digital calipers (the real ones, not the counterfeits) are incredibly accurate. Carbide faces will last a lifetime in a hobby shop if not abused. Might want to consider them at this price.

Done!
Should be here in a week.
Thanks for helping me spend some money!!:D

I have that same micrometer, except mine has the friction knob. After a bad experience with Shars digital electronic micrometers, I went to only buying Starrett micrometers.

You might consider a friction knob, but a friction knob is not necessary.

Back