Is this a good buy for first mic??

The bigger you go, the more expensive mics tend to be. As I noted, the most used will be a 0-1", followed by a 1-2". For those, I think going with digital Mit mics is a good idea. Mitutoyo is the market leader for digital metrology tools for very good reasons and I personally think they are worth the investment. Beyond 2", though, I think analog mics are acceptable because we don't use them that much in the typical hobby shop.

For analog mics, the Swiss make the most accurate mics in my opinion. I prefer Tesa or Etalon mics (made by the same factory). The best ones will have carbide faces. Here is a Tesa that looks to be in okay shape and has carbide faces. You can generally tell how much a mic has been used by the condition of the black insulator on the frame and this one looks like the mic has not seen that much use. I think this is a good buy, Evan.
The Tesa arrived today and I am very impressed. I've used their DTIs and calipers, but never one of their mics. Amazing feel.
IMG_0468[1].JPG
Thanks for the tip Mike! Glad I jumped on it.

Was on my desk when I got home last night
Was not real impressed with the packing though for a precision measuring instrument.
Package it was in looks like it took some man handling.
Contents were OK though far as I can tell.

Attachments

• DSCN8077.JPG
    DSCN8077.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN8078.JPG
    DSCN8078.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 12
Back