Inexpensive 3 axis DRO

Good job on the mounting, brandonicus! You're going to enjoy having the DROs. While they may not be as good as the high $ units, they have served me well, with no problems whatsoever. It's good to know where Zero is, and to be able to return to it accurately.

While decking the VW case halves, I had a scary incident. While most Type 1 VW cases are aluminum, these particular cases are a magnesium alloy. Due to tool dulling and my reluctance to remove and sharpen the tool midway through machining, the light cut produced a "fuzzy" chip. Good thing I stopped several times and cleared the swarf away, because at one point it FLASHED. As in rapid burning. It took less time than the blink of an eye for that light layer of fuzzy material to burn. No damage was done, but I did have to go change my shorts, lol. So, if you ever machine a magnesium alloy, don't make fuzzy chips. This could have been a major disaster. Lesson learned.

Tom

Brandonicus

Nice job! Now go look at Yuri's touch DRO andriod app. This involves building a simple electronic circuit that will interface your three igaging sensors to a Bluetooth connection that you connect to with your andriod smartphone or tablet. This is then able to display all your axis in one location, which means it now knows their interrelations and will give you full blown DRO features (circle pattern tool offset etc...). You can even enter your RPM and it will display your SFM in real time. It is also able to calibrate to your sensor and mounting system to cater for any cosine errors you may have. Has ability to remembers points etc...

Since changing to it I find my igaging sensors seem way more accurate.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Brandonicus

Nice job! Now go look at Yuri's touch DRO andriod app. This involves building a simple electronic circuit that will interface your three igaging sensors to a Bluetooth connection...

...Since changing to it I find my igaging sensors seem way more accurate.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Now that sounds sweet - and i happen to have an android tablet collecting dust at my house! can you give any more info on where to find this?

B

That's the one... I got the components on the eBay for about $30 all up, but that's because I live in a 3rd world country so buying locally is pretty hard.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back