Inexpensive 3 axis DRO

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Setting up a new HF mini mill/drill for a new HMS. I took a chance and ordered three DigiMag remote readouts from Amazon for about $100. Yesterday I mounted the X and Y axis units on the mill, and I am pretty pleased with the results of the install. Still have to get the air spring conversion for the Z, so that DRO will have to wait a bit, but X and Y are working well. Working on the display mount and chip guards today.

Anyone else here using these? Any feedback after actually machining parts?

Tom

The DROs come with most mounting brackets for the ends. The scale is stainless, can be cut to length with a hacksaw, and comes with end mounting brackets. I made simple .025" 2024 aluminum brackets to mount the sensors. Mounting the Y was easy, but the X required a bit more thought. For the X, I made another bracket with two small slots at the bottom edge and mounted the bracket to the sensor with supplied screws. I loosened the two screws that hold the rubber DRO Y.jpgDRO X.jpgDRO X Mount.jpgchip guard to the back of the table, and slid the bracket slots in, then tightened the two screws. Drilling and 8-32 tapping the cast parts on the mill was the hardest part, but it went well, with no broken taps (lots of taping oil). I suspect these DROs will eat batteries, therefore I may fit them with inexpensive AC converter transformers which will stay powered up.

At the upper right of the second pic you can also see the start of an experimental 18V Black & Decker Z axis rapid transit and feed motor which will be mounted on the left end of the table. It won't approach CNC, but it will be fun.

Tom

DRO Y.jpg DRO X.jpg DRO X Mount.jpg

You're welcome, Shawn. I should point out that the install is not complete, as I still have to form up the full length chip guards to go above the X and Y axis scales. I have some .040 PETG clear plastic that cold forms easily and should keep the scales relatively chip free and offer a little protection from "falling objects".:phew:

Tom

Hopefully this is just a strange occurrence. A friend of mine bought a set of Igage's from Grizzly Tool. The problem he had was the display would just jump randomly to different readings when nothing had moved. Grizzly took them back and paid shipping and set him a new set, within a few days it was happening again. Grizzly took them back and refunded his money. He bought a set from DRO PROS and has had no problems and is happily milling away. Not trying to rain on anyones parade just letting you know about his problems. Roger

Rebush, thanks for the input. I wonder if machining steel might create a problem, as I believe these are magnetic scales. We'll keep an eye on it.

X axis chipguard is in place.

DRO X chipguard.jpg

Tom

DRO X chipguard.jpg

I have these ones on two mills and a lathe, without guards. I haven't had any problems with chips. I haven't had the displays jump either, except as noted next ...

The only issue is with the Z-axis display on the ZX-25 mill. If I'm doing a brutal milling job and the vibration gets up there (Hey, it's not a Victoria, after all.), a loose connection in the display connector can get the numbers jumping.

The units with the shorter scales will shut off if there is no movement for a while, but the ones with the longer scales don't shut down. I usually come back into the shop and find that I left one or two on overnight.

Thanks Mike, its good to know there may be hope for these working out ok. Ordering the gas spring conversion from LMS this week, and then I can mount the Z on the left side of the column. In the meantime, I'll fabricate a mount for the 3 readouts and letter them X,Y,Z. After seeing your comment about vibration, I'll figure out a way to mount them that does not involve actually attaching them to the mill.

Tom

I have these on my 9X20 and have had no problems when cutting steel or any other material. Just wipe them down at the end of playtime.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mitu scale came with insulating sheets, the instructions say they're used for insulating the head & mounting end brackets if mounted directly to metal on the machine if it displays weird. Some machines can cause interference because of the voltage. Maybe some of the issues mentioned here are related?

Back