Induldge me on a "color choice"....

If you want to spend more money on machinery, pick a color that your wife likes. :lmao:Mark

Meh, my missus could care less.

Machines are nothing but appliances to her. As long as they do what they are intended for and she sees a use for them, that's all that matters to her. She "indulges" me in my obsession with tools and such because she knows it gives me peace to work in the garage building cars and whatnot. Probably why she lets me have the 4 cars (GMC K2500, 300M, mustang and 62 TBird) and a motorcycle (Interceptor) just for me.

Actually, I forgot about the boat she lets me keep too.

Now that I think of it, I don't know why she puts up with me......:rofl:

Cant go wrong with any shade of Grey IMO, however I really like the Chevy Orange previously posted.
If you see it in the shop on a daily basis keep in mind, boring colours make life / work boring.
If your going to keep it , its up to you. however resale for a "purple metal flake & pearl paint " maybe a little less desired for a buyer.

:roflmao:

Nah, doubt I'll ever sell it. It's size is more than adequate for my uses and the accuracy is well within what I need for making car bits. I've wanted "a" lathe for so long I can't remember, but not for precision stuff, just general use. Mostly axle spacers and bushings for motorcycle construction, but now I'm thinking I'll be able to turn out things like seal drivers and tools like that. Pretty much all small stuff.

I'll never need a 3000 lb monster and if I do it would only be for "one off" things that are probably better bought already made. If it's something that can't be bought aftermarket, I'll just pay a shop to make something that big.

Plus, I'll never be able to use up that much real estate in the shop for a huge lathe. Just don't/won't have the space to go around with a couple cars and other tools in there...

I find myself warming up to this gents paint scheme:

CIMG2494_zpsfd70881c.jpg

CIMG2497_zps7dc4aee4.jpg

Would hide dirt rather well and most of my boxes are black (which would look good in there).

That would seem to mean that a black, gunmetal or some sort of charcoal would look good on the lathe.

Odd man out would be the millermatic in it's bright blue color.....

CIMG2494_zpsfd70881c.jpg

CIMG2497_zps7dc4aee4.jpg

Hold the phone! Just ran across this:

PaintSchemesGarage_zps3e097d3f.png

Liking number 6. That would still allow me to keep the black boxes, the miller would look OK and the lathe can still be a black or gunmetal color.

Just so guys don't think I'm a total nit, I've always had rough garage walls. Now that I have drywall in the new garage I want it to be a nice place to spend time. That's why I'm sweating the colors....

PaintSchemesGarage_zps3e097d3f.png

I would go with a medium grey. And no texture, opposite of that. Nice high strength very smooth paint that would wipe down easily from the oil and dirt of using it. It would go with anything in the garage and look as one would expect a metal lathe should look like.

Looking at your color samples...

I like the medium grey and blue... no accent lines or racing stripes.

Paint the body the med grey, and the accent points blue....
OR
Paint the lower parts blue and the upper parts grey.

I run this lathe weekly, I suspect that it began life white and blue, most of it is now yellow, this does not effect how it works.
4k9zyt.jpg

4k9zyt.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I am focused on function first. First and foremost, the lathe has to work.

But there's no reason why I can't have a nice, bright enjoyable place to work too. Visuals are a big part of how you feel about a space.

My atlas may be from the 40's or 50's, but that doesn't mean it can't look nice as well as function properly.

:)

Disclaimer "this is not my lathe" No disrespect for the owner.
attachment.php?attachmentid=41493&d=1417894260&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=41493&d=1417894260&thumb=1.jpg

Back