Induldge me on a "color choice"....

I recently painted some file cabinets with a Rust Oleum "Hammered Finish" spray paint. I cannot recall the exact color name but it is kind of a "gunmetal grey". It leaves a fine color texture and hard durable finish. I think it would be perfect for a machine tool.

I painted my table saw with that paint I think thay call it hammertone black .

Cant go wrong with any shade of Grey IMO, however I really like the Chevy Orange previously posted.
If you see it in the shop on a daily basis keep in mind, boring colours make life / work boring.
If your going to keep it , its up to you. however resale for a "purple metal flake & pearl paint " maybe a little less desired for a buyer.

:roflmao:

I painted my table saw with that paint I think thay call it hammertone black .

That my be it, I'll check when I get back to Brooklyn, I have another can in reserve for touch-up. On that note, I purchased the paint at Home Depot, I have noticed the "big box" stores often have proprietary colors, even on national brand paints.

What do you want to do? If you want it to stand out, well you have Budwiser, NHRA/Summit, Craftsman and wall stripe red. If you want to blend in you have grey or pale blue.

Just an out of the box thought, have it pin stripped and flamed to be a hot rod.

Caster

Not a great pic, but I painted mine to somewhat match other equipment in my shop.

CIMG3402.jpg

CIMG3474.jpg
CIMG3153.jpg

CIMG3402.jpg

CIMG3474.jpg

CIMG3153.jpg

IMO paint colors are as much a matter of the owner as anything...
However as noted if one wants to sell the machine some day... well a 'bright' color may not be the best thing.
Imagine answering a CL add, walking into a guys garage, and finding a bright Chartreuse (deep tone of hot pink) lathe... :roflmao:

I like two-tone, it makes for an interesting color scheme. Personally, I would not use a bright white... shows too much dirt.

I used to run a remodeling co... learned a bit about decorating: Where-ever the bright colors are, is where one's eye goes. So the deeper or less 'bright' tones need to be in areas less important (the stand, lower, etc). The brighter colors need to be where the work is being done.... which is also where the most oil and dirt collect.

Given the pictures of your shop area... I would suggest to pick up that off white/lite grey, with the blue accent.

Look at the paint scheme Quality Machine Tools uses on their 'Precision Matthews' machines:
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/
Might be a starting place for ideas.

Personally, I like to use oil base industrial paint (Rustoleum works for me), and stick with a color I can match later. I used 'Royal Blue' as my accent color.

IMO the more pictures you look at, the more ideas you can see. Them make a short list and look at them some more... the 'right' color 'for you' will become evident.

Please post some pics when you have it done... would like to see the finished restoration.

This is a wood lathe, but the color is decent:

Lathe-C32.jpg

Would go well with wals painted gray on bottom, blue strip middle and white/off white top.

I would have to do something with my black tool boxes though.

In thinking the garage should be lighter colors to make it brighter and feel bigger since its just a single car garage....

Lathe-C32.jpg

I would have to do something with my black tool boxes though.

In thinking the garage should be lighter colors to make it brighter and feel bigger since its just a single car garage....

Take it from a New Yorker, Black goes with anything :)

If you want to spend more money on machinery, pick a color that your wife likes. :lmao:Mark

Back