INCH CHART BY 128ths

Isn't it common for the calipers with fractional vernier to have 128th's so you can measure any fraction from that (i.e. 1/64 = 2/128 , 1/8 = 16/128)

Stu
:(

47_MIT-531-113.jpg

:laughing:
mmmmmmmitutoyo

For what it's worth, I do use 5 decimals most times when I am calcolating a theoretical answer. Like when doing metric to imperial conversion, or figuring "pi" for an angle. For machine work though, there are people that cut to ten thousandths, but in my work .001 inch is close enough.

Pi is fun.

Some argu about accuracy when calculations done.

When we built spreadsheets or debase calculations we never used pi as it limited the accuracy to whatever it was.

Instead, we would multiply by 22 then divide by 7.

Sometimes it came out even.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back in the day, working on first generation pollution controls for the iron industry, I had to deal with long strings of numerics. Not just for calculating, but for part numbers and other reasons. The five digit sequence became second nature that stuck with me over time. Pi at (3.)14159 just fit in well. As does metric conversion at (0.)03937. By an old (moldy) joke, Pi varies by the profession of the user, from a design engineer at 3.14159 down to a salesman who must decide on apple or lemon. It is a matter of what sequence of numbers are easy to remember. Perhaps it comes down to my teen years when the local telephone system had five digit telephone numbers. (Charlottesville, Va ~1965)

Pi is fun.

Some argu about accuracy when calculations done.

When we built spreadsheets or debase calculations we never used pi as it limited the accuracy to whatever it was.

Instead, we would multiply by 22 then divide by 7.

Sometimes it came out even.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
22 divided by 7 is an estimate of pi not the definition, it is only accurate to two decimal places then the numbers differ.

Back