INCH CHART BY 128ths

Winegrower, Do you have a link to the free chart. I went to their web site but could not find a free chart, I could not even find one to buy on their site.

Thx for the chart.
I bought these many years ago just out of curiosity when I was ordering something else from Enco or Rutland, can’t remember.
They were 5 bucks or so. Figured I would use the case they came in if nothing else.
Turned out to be very accurate (once I figured out how to use them) despite their crude appearance.
I don’t use them, but do dig them out every few years to figure out (again) how to use them.
Cheers, Harvey

Attachments

• 52DDFF5D-82C6-4959-A2C6-D1F586AE034C.jpeg
    52DDFF5D-82C6-4959-A2C6-D1F586AE034C.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 28
Regarding the Starrett chart, as Mr.Whopee points out, you have to create a login, then go to the catalog and literature section, and you'll find a "free literature" section. The chart is listed there.

Edit: they also offer some free laminated conversion charts that are worth having. Their checkout procedure is a bit funny as you have to place your order without seeing a price...but notice that the billing address is to Starrett.

Last edited:
@BROCKWOOD

Do you have any machinery with travels (dials) graduated in 128ths of an inch?

What is the practical use of a chart showing the decimal inch equivalent, to seven decimal places (one tenth of one millionth of an inch) of 128ths of an inch?

Are you planning another chart of 256ths?

A chart by 64ths. is enough for me. I use mostly for converting the fractional drill sizes to decimal and vice versa. I have several posted around the shop in convenient places. Most of the sizes are committed to memory now so I seldom use the charts.

128th's of an inch are kind of an oddball. I have some old vernier calipers and a new decimal/fractional digital caliper that measure to 128th's. Woodworking tools would be the only.tools that use them; my router and the bench planer.

When I could see (a long time ago) I thought of 128ths as 1/2 a 64th. Now I think of them as a 1/4 of a 32nd. LOL On the chart I made them black so more common measurements are easier to find. Perhaps the English system does slow me down, compared to metric. But it does make me think! My rulers are all in inches, so this helps me convert.

I need a calculator these days. Fractions punch through easily. Also for diameter part on the lathe, calculating the cuts. I just messed up too many parts doing it in my head.

Back