Improving single point thread quality?

I’ve played with it. I mentioned earlier using an internal boring bar and the spindle in reverse. That way the tool forces aren’t lifting the carriage assembly, and I can see the tool. Makes me feel better.
I am not following this? Are you talking for internal threads?

I am not following this? Are you talking for internal threads?

I believe he's talking about using an internal threading tool, like a boring bar with a threading insert. Threading the OD of the part on the back side, running the spindle in reverse. Threading away from the chuck, so that the cutting forces are directed downward.

I believe he's talking about using an internal threading tool, like a boring bar with a threading insert. Threading on the back side, running the spindle in reverse. Threading away from the chuck, so that the cutting forces are directed downward.

Yep!

All the grief about compound angles on the lathe can be resolved by following one rule of thumb: The compound slideshould be parallel with the trailing flank of the cutter thentap it about 1/2* toward the cross slide. This works for V threads of any thread angle (60*, 55*, 47,5* orany other included angle) and Acme or trapezoidal threads. It works for external threads, internal threads, right or left hand threads.

There is a tiny section of "Houston Warehouse" that mentions cutting a bevel on the chamber end of the barrel and matching bevel inside the action creates better centering of the barrel in the action.

I did touch the edges lightly. Wasn't too worried about it as these are just paper weights :)

Thread away from the chuck. Makes threading trivial. Checkout YouTube JoePi

Threading tool upside down in the holder; spindle in reverse. You can also leave the half nut engaged and jog the tool back into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good suggestion provided you do not have a screw on chuck which could UNSCREW if something goes wrong
with very bad consequences.

Back