Improving single point thread quality?

Those are some really clear photos, what are you using for camera?

Your RPM's are too low. Work out the proper SFM.

So its 59.5 on this compound? Why even say 29.5, if the witness mark is nowhere near that indication? I'm not scolding the OP by the way. I'm just trying to blame someone else for my SEVEN YEAR RUN of never successfully cutting threads...

So its 59.5 on this compound? Why even say 29.5, if the witness mark is nowhere near that indication? I'm not scolding the OP by the way. I'm just trying to blame someone else for my SEVEN YEAR RUN of never successfully cutting threads...

It should be (happy to be wrong) 60.5 with the marks on my machine - this provides relief on the right hand side of the cutter so it doesn't rub. I think it's an "american vs import" lathe thing.

Yes, 60.5 degrees on @LVLAaron's machine, and mine. This is such a common problem, which is why I asked for a photo. Got me in the beginning as well! Fixing the angle should help some.

Your RPM's are too low. Work out the proper SFM.

I'll be working up against a shoulder... so naturally I'm nervous about crashing the machine or wrecking a 400 dollar part. I did some testing with the spindle in reverse and using an internal threading insert on the outside of the part.

Will play around with it tomorrow when the bourbon wears off.

Start your own thread on threading. We will all try to help you. It is a good skill to have.

Back