I got flashed tonight.

The human visual aversion response takes about 0.25 seconds from flash to eyes shut. Filtering the UV, there's not much damage to be done. Had you really gotten a flash, your eyes would have swollen towards shut and you'd be on the couch with a cold washcloth over your face...

I remember something about potatoes:dunno:, when I got flash burnt once it was hell, but I got some kind of numbing gel/cream.
Did you try the sensitivity in both directions? I use a bright flashlight and mine darkens if it hits a sensor. The Miller helmet has a test button, my e64 does not.

I got flashed a few times in my life and the only remedy for my eyes was to brew 2 tea bags of Chamomile tea, then fill an eye bath cup with that tea(after it cooled down of course:)) and bathe my eyes with it 2-3 times a day. it soothes your eyes better than any eye cream or eye drop .

I'll bet that the helmet hasn't been in the sun in quite a while. What probably happened is that the helmet battery had a marginal charge and after you used it to run several beads its charge was down to "borderline". I'll bet that giving it a day outside will solve the problem. The AD tech is really pretty good even on less expensive helmets. None of the companies that make or import gear want to lose customers by making unsafe gear.

Last edited:
I'll bet that the helmet hasn't been in the sun in quite a while. What probably happened is that the helmet battery had a marginal charge and after you used it to run several beads its charge was down to "borderline". I'll bet that giving it a day outside will solve the problem. The AD tech is really pretty good even on less expensive helmets. None of the companies that make or import gear want to lose customers by making unsafe hear.
In fact I did leave it in the sun all day yesterday. Last night it worked great, likewise tonight.

In fact I did leave it in the sun all day yesterday. Last night it worked great, likewise tonight.
Excellent! When I had a welding lesson with a friend who drives a big Miller setup he was using a helmet he got with his welder. I was using one I bought from HF when I bought my welder. He showed me how to put the helmet outside while setting up the project. It turned out that my cheap helmet was identical to the last detail with his. I expect one factory in China turns them out by the shipload. Glad it worked out for you.

Obviously you need the Optrel Crystal Helmet!
Robert

Do the helmets need sun for charging or will the light from welding charge them?

Back