I got flashed tonight.

Hope that was it David, all the things your mom told you that would make you go blind, and arc flashes are not going to help us when we get older :grin:

You guys are an expensive date... After reading this, I remembered looking at several new welding helmets and reading some very good comments about the newer models (mine's a 25-yr old Miller that works but is getting on in years). Yes, there are a whole lot of probably pretty good ones now for less than $100, but one thing led to another and well, more than that was spent on what I hope is the last helmet I'll need!
I tell you...it's a plot!

David,
I'm glad you said something, I couldn't figure out what happened. Suddenly the Tig arc was way too bright.
I saw AVE's video when it came out. I too felt much better after that.
The spot went away.
Guys, buy a quality helmet. Your eyes are worth it.

David,
Glad your eyes are ok.

Have you thought about calling ESAB? Most reputable companies want to know when their safety equipment may not have operated as expected.

David,
Glad your eyes are ok.

Have you thought about calling ESAB? Most reputable companies want to know when their safety equipment may not have operated as expected.
Thanks, I was a bit worried. The spot went away after about an hour or so.
I haven't called Esab but that's a good idea. The fact that it worked fine for three of four beads is perplexing.

David,
I'm glad you said something, I couldn't figure out what happened. Suddenly the Tig arc was way too bright.
I saw AVE's video when it came out. I too felt much better after that.
The spot went away.
Guys, buy a quality helmet. Your eyes are worth it.
I was very worried about possible damage to my eyes. I'm glad that there's UV and IR protection no matter what.

I had a couple ok helmets I used a lot for mig and never had any issues, but when I started tig welding, especially thin material with low amps I got an occasional flash. I decided to invest in a better helmet and bought a Lincoln 3350 series. Never had another issue. Really like the helmet... big clear glass and great color. It's hard to put a $ value on your eye heath and safety. Don't know what you're using now but a good helmet is a good investment and worth every penny.
I purchased the same helmet. It is the only one I have owned so I can't say. It works well for me. I did "research" on google and chose it. I may check the battery, it's been a couple years...

Not that way!

I was practicing TIG tonight and got flashed bad.
Working on just running straight beads, no filler on 1/4” mild steel. Completely clean. First couple went fine then suddenly blam, absolute brilliant flash partway through the next bead. I didn’t dip the tungsten.
Primeweld 225
130 amps
#8 cup
Stubby kit with gas lens
18 cfm
2% lanthanated

Completely overwhelmed my Esab Savage set at 11. Now there’s a big spot in my vision.

Any idea what might have caused the flash?

Edit: I think that the sensitivity was set too low. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if this is worth anything but I know many helmets like the one I have use multiple sensors in different locations to avoid shadowing. Do you think it's possible you somehow shadowed your sensor? I know I get my face in close and at weird angles to hope to see what's going on through my 3.0 readers. If your hand blocked the sensor its possible that the visor went "clear" on you? It would be good to know. I know several guys using harbor fright helmets with out trouble (reported to me anyhow).

I believe the A40 has 4 sensors? Could it be possible one or more of the sensors is bad? That could mean shading one of the other "working" sensors caused it to un-darken?

I don't know if this is worth anything but I know many helmets like the one I have use multiple sensors in different locations to avoid shadowing. Do you think it's possible you somehow shadowed your sensor? I know I get my face in close and at weird angles to hope to see what's going on through my 3.0 readers. If your hand blocked the sensor its possible that the visor went "clear" on you? It would be good to know. I know several guys using harbor fright helmets with out trouble (reported to me anyhow).
That's absolutely possible though there are four sensors as @DAT510 noted.
I just tried looking at the sun with it on max sensitivity and it wouldn't darken so I think something is definitely wrong with it.

Back