I admit...I did it...PM 1640E-LB

There is definitely not enough xanax that can be prescribed for those moments.......
I hope there was no damage to the lathe or your heart valves..

John

The lathe was fine but it was a clear danger to the driver, I said "dude". He was hot I tell you. Then he couldn't get it raised back up, it would move like a 1/4 inch and stop. He called in for a repair guy to come out and they had him flip some breaker somewhere and it started working again, sort of.

The next big hurdle, is getting it off the pallets, and onto the floor.

I took my time, Dan and all went as planned and without any surprises.
Cutting away 2 pallets is kind of a #$@%$ though.
You live very close to me, I noticed....you happen to have a fireplace and need a bit of wood? :))

John

John any ideas on what your first lathe project will be?

View attachment 89689 View attachment 89690
Lift before load on it -------------------------------------------------------------------------Pallet cut -away on left

View attachment 89691 View attachment 89692
On pallet(s) at location----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Level in crane..

View attachment 89693 View attachment 89694
Rigged and lifted... --------------------------------------------------------On concrete with leveling feet

View attachment 89695
Taaa Daaaa

Getting it level in the crane took about 2 cigarettes and a lot of staring. Cranes and centers of gravity may be my bizz, but this was my machine...:))
It did level on first lift! Tailstock was already removed cuz that's quite the hunk of iron.
Lifted the lathe, pulled both pallets (what was left of them after cutting to make way for the lift legs) and lowered the lathe as much as possible where I could attach the leveling feet.
You know...the scary part was how the lift would lower it....I borrowed it and did not know how it would react under such a load, but it went super smooth.:phew:
I'm telling ya......this PM1640 looks brand new! Awesome deal with Matt.:))

Perhaps later I'll write a review after I get some hours/days...years under my belt with this machine. Hehheh

I'm going to enjoy this....
John

THAT... is a LOT of lathe... Good buy! :thumbsup:

And I thought I was gonna go too big (and expensive) by upgrading from a 1236 to a 1340GT... :think1:

OTOH: The lathe upgrade (and the mill upgrade from a 932 to a 935) will put me with a little more machine than I 'think' I will need... :pondering: And we 'know' about 'all I will need'... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This would have been too big:

semibuiltcranksahftinlathe.jpg

semibuiltcranksahftinlathe.jpg

Ahahaha hey man I want a lathe that barely fits in a Semi! That thing looks a beast John I look forward to your future posts.

John any ideas on what your first lathe project will be?

First project will be me...recover ...:lmao:
Then...where do I start...basically building/organizing some sort of a shop.
Getting my little machine shop mini mill down (my mini machine shop was in my hobby room upstairs...heated..building a wall to separate the garage into a room to keep the machines at, at least, a minimum temperature.
In between all that going through all steps of checking out the lathe, fiddle here and there with the little material I have in bigger stuff than for a 7X12 lathe...sorta gotta get 'geared' again towards this size.
Luckily, thinking ahead, I brought home a bunch of real big bolts and nuts from projects I worked on. They are shipping bolts and assembly bolts for wind turbines and vary from 1" - 2" o.d. about 10" length.
Lots of practice for interrupted cuts and parting off. hehheh.
Still waiting for toolbits to come in so for now all I have is a 3/4 parting blade and 1/2" hss stuff. I never worked with indexable but I think I wanna go there, but they're not here yet.
So much more tooling to get for this size, but it'll happen...3/4 is a bit of a step up and I don't have anything that big....in tooling..:))
Boring bars and you name it...all have to be get. Scouting ebay a lot here..hehheh
(if anybody has a great offer on tooling in the cxa size...I'm all ears!)
Oh! probably first 'project' will be a handle for the cxa toolpost! Yep, really need to get a boring bar quick.
I am, for some reason, kinda obsessed with threading and that was not really possible with the mini lathe accurately, but now...oh boy!
Little downfall on the 1640 is the lack of an extensive gearbox but that doesn't hinder me much....changing gears is easy and doesn't take much time, plus I consider that 'fiddling' and I enjoy that.
This is purely a hobby and in no shape or form a business so I promised myself to not go overboard on pumping money into tooling and such...it'll take time.
On the other hand...if it's worth doing...it's worth overdoing...:lmao:
I'm sure that, along the line, I'll run into all sorts of problems that I'll try to make you guy's problems at that point!:))
So that's, roughly, my 'timeline' for projects.

John

John turning bolts...I dunno that sounds like a good way to rapidly wipe out a bunch of carbide cutters. I tried turning some grade 8 wow FAIL! Even grade 5 were horrible. I think it would be better to practice on some mild steel vs the hardened stuff. I just turned .070 off the end of 4 bolts and it took out 1.5 carbide C6 cutters.

THAT... is a LOT of lathe... Good buy! :thumbsup:

And I thought I was gonna go too big (and expensive) by upgrading from a 1236 to a 1340GT... :think1:

OTOH: The lathe upgrade (and the mill upgrade from a 932 to a 935) will put me with a little more machine than I 'think' I will need... :pondering: And we 'know' about 'all I will need'... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

John...lemme think...................yep, you really need it! Trust me!
Especially you with the gyro...all the nice things you can make just for that!
I'm jealous, cuz I've been looking at them, on and off, for a long time and they seem awesome!
(in my ...richer..days, I owned a Hiller 12D and had 8 hours on it)
Still own a bunch of rc helis, but they are collecting dust now for awhile.
Go from this 'thinking line'...."If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing".....so true :))
You already have awesome machines so staying on the path of 'awesomer' only makes perfect sense.

John

John turning bolts...I dunno that sounds like a good way to rapidly wipe out a bunch of carbide cutters. I tried turning some grade 8 wow FAIL! Even grade 5 were horrible. I think it would be better to practice on some mild steel vs the hardened stuff. I just turned .070 off the end of 4 bolts and it took out 1.5 carbide C6 cutters.

What if I do it reallllllly careful? :lmao::lmao:

You are probably very correct, but it's all i have for now to destroy.
My wife's brother is supposed to bring me some alu and mild steel but he has ...uhhh.. different timelines or universal dimensions even than most people.
I have no idea on the grade of these big bolts...all I know they put in a bunch to connect tower sections. remember..I just lift the tower section and never touch the bolts:)))
Would there be a grade indication on bolts and if so, how to identify?
All I know they test the 'pulling' strength on them with like 4600 psi pressure in a hydraulic device. That's quite a bit.
Oh, and they are grey.:thinking: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

John

Back