I admit...I did it...PM 1640E-LB

John has a lot of nerve posting a "machine has landed" post without a single picture.

Don't be scared of lift gates, you just need the right one. I know a guy that puts his bobcat in his semi boxtruck with a lift gate. He does push down on the box with the forks/bucket as the lift gate goes up and then drives right on in. That machine has to out weight a lot of lathes. I would love for him to come over and drop a lathe like that off for me. What a nice machine. What a nice wife too, lucky devil:))

The next big hurdle, is getting it off the pallets, and onto the floor.

... I flipped the breaker on....
Mannnn....it's a "she" now...."she" runs BEAUTIFUL and everything runs like butter....even though it's a "she" now, she's unexpectedly quiet! :))
Make sure your headstock is full, and than get the spindle run-in done before you play around with it much.

My lathe arrived on a truck with a malfunctioning lift gate, nothing the driver tried worked it was stuck in the up position...he was about to wheel the lathe back in the truck when it let loose and lowered itself to the ground rather quickly and landed with a thud. The driver was like :yikes:

Make sure your headstock is full, and than get the spindle run-in done before you play around with it much.

This is a used machine I bought from Quality Machine Tools, so I gathered that that part had been done. :))
I did check oil and everything I could think of before I even fired it up.

Appreciate the tip though...good thinking
Thanks,
John

My lathe arrived on a truck with a malfunctioning lift gate, nothing the driver tried worked it was stuck in the up position...he was about to wheel the lathe back in the truck when it let loose and lowered itself to the ground rather quickly and landed with a thud. The driver was like :yikes:

There is definitely not enough xanax that can be prescribed for those moments.......
I hope there was no damage to the lathe or your heart valves..

John

20141209_144212 resize.jpg 20141209_150004 resize.jpg
Lift before load on it -------------------------------------------------------------------------Pallet cut -away on left

20141209_195559 resize.jpg 20141210_114250 resize.jpg
On pallet(s) at location----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Level in crane..

20141210_114258 resize.jpg 20141210_120304 resize.jpg
Rigged and lifted... --------------------------------------------------------On concrete with leveling feet

20141212_161952 resize.jpg
Taaa Daaaa

Getting it level in the crane took about 2 cigarettes and a lot of staring. Cranes and centers of gravity may be my bizz, but this was my machine...:))
It did level on first lift! Tailstock was already removed cuz that's quite the hunk of iron.
Lifted the lathe, pulled both pallets (what was left of them after cutting to make way for the lift legs) and lowered the lathe as much as possible where I could attach the leveling feet.
You know...the scary part was how the lift would lower it....I borrowed it and did not know how it would react under such a load, but it went super smooth.:phew:
I'm telling ya......this PM1640 looks brand new! Awesome deal with Matt.:))

Perhaps later I'll write a review after I get some hours/days...years under my belt with this machine. Hehheh

I'm going to enjoy this....
John

20141209_144212 resize.jpg 20141209_150004 resize.jpg 20141209_195559 resize.jpg 20141210_114250 resize.jpg 20141210_114258 resize.jpg 20141210_120304 resize.jpg 20141212_161952 resize.jpg

Last edited:
Back