I admit...I did it...PM 1640E-LB

Congrats! PLEASE post picks when you get it. Not many people post pics of new 16x lathes.

Yes indeed... pics please... :thumbsup:

Your psycho-dynamics are not unusual for a metal enthusiast, I thnk. I wrestle with a possible first time purchase of new vs old, big vs small every time I look at craigslist and ebay. Cannot justify a $5K lathe on usage, but almost can on the effect. Like having your favorite motorcycle parked in the living room. What will win out it's hard to tell. Great purchase and enjoy!

well congrats to you. know the mental struggles very well having been there on three occasions. So here I am following what you will be up to with the new machine. I have been talking to matt as well bout getting something bigger than my last sheen, a 9x20 jet. Know where you say bout the other-half looking and questioning. haven't gotten the suitcases unpacked and here I am looking to spend money on new machines.
:talktogod:here's hopping she will believe the "it's really necessary" line.

keep us posted
Larry from Alaska, now living in Oregon

I'm talking pictures posted here...is it really necessary to post pictures of those clean, organized and nicely arranged shops on here? HA! Rub it in, go ahead. Needless to say that IF I post pics on here they may be edited without background or floor
For the record, my garage hasn't been clean since the day I moved in. I have moved machines from side to side, in a valiant attempt. But still no success.

So no worries, I doubt your workbenches are any more cluttered than mine. And the drill press and tablesaw do double duty as shelves...

Congrats on the big beast. I look forward to hearing your impressions. I came close to getting something similar (Grizzly G0509G 16x40), but in the end decided to apply my spare change toward a Tormach. I am sure that I will regret "cheapening" out and getting the lighter weight machine. Just a note: I went Grizzly instead of PM solely because I am a couple hours away from Grizzly HQ, and drive through there on business every month or so, making it a convenient place to shop/

Way to go John!

I took a looooong look at that lathe. Until I realized it was too big for a residential/liftgate delivery. Ended up buying a PM1340GT from the same seller. It's the biggest I can handle for now.

Enjoy that big 'ol horse. :D

TaaaaaDaaaaaaaa....
The machine has landed! Wednesday late afternoon UPS showed up with a 40 footer and a liftgate. Backing up to my garage door was easy and there it was...BIG crate as wide as the trailer almost.
Wider than the raised hinges on the lift gate though...so the recip saw had to come out....cut away one side of the pallet and on to the gate it rolled...sorta.
Heavy s.o.b.! 2300 lbs with the crate and we used a pry bar to overcome the threshold of the trailer...so far so good....we did have the driver back up to the concrete threshold of the garage so the end of the lift would land on it...good thinking if it wasn't for the outwards travel of the lift which made the top of the crate touch the house....no problem, you say and move the truck a couple feet forward...drop the lift,almost, down, truck reverse until lift is just over the threshold and Bob's yer uncle.....
Now this was the first time the lift was actually going lower than a few inches....and UPS, in all it's wisdom, had send, I think, a 1500 lbs liftgate trailer with a 2300 lbs load.....on top of that we estimated the liftgate to be roughly over 250 years old.... it ...uhhh..struggled.
Fear for the whole shebang tipping over we strapped the crate over the back to the lift...and I think that was the only thing preventing the crate to fall flat on it's face! Scary moments...I think, at some point, my wife even yelled my name and that it was tipping over...bless her..:))
I was more like...this stuff is repearable and let's go...
My guess is that guys just hide their fear better...hehheh
Lift almost down...truck backing over sheet of osb in front of garage and so you know...7/16 osb is no match for palletjack wheels with 2300 lbs on it....like butter it went through it. (gravel driveway)
Now that's why you always have big pry bars and burly guys ready at hand and after some huffin and puffin the show hit the concrete floor in the garage. Driver dropped it where I'd liked it oriented and I wanted him to wait a little to check if the travel of the lathe went well inside the crate also, but he replied he was in a hurry and had to go....oooook..now I got worried and literally starting to attack the crate.
Big pry bar and whoppa..top came off and quickly glanced inside...what would you have done if the driver said "I gotta go NOW"?
First glance...all ok and it's a white and blue lathe and it's kinda big so it's probably mine.
At that point I had to pee like a russian race horse and when I got back in the quite cold garage my father in law informed me that the crate wasn't nailed together but screwed...so from here on out we took whole panels off and no frantic looking pieces.
There it is...sitting proud on 2 pallets high and I am a happy camper so far!:applause:

We did it!!!

ok...as soon as I have a lil more time and figger out how to post pics...they're coming...promise!

John
proud father of a PM1640

update: on the concrete, safe, and cleaned a bit and ran a 240 line to there and hooked up and dro hooked up and played with a lot of handles like a full blown pervert I flipped the breaker on....
Mannnn....it's a "she" now...."she" runs BEAUTIFUL and everything runs like butter....even though it's a "she" now, she's unexpectedly quiet! :))

Pics to follow...

Wow, would not have thought that anyone would even attempt to deliver that thing with a lift gate. But at least it's there and in one piece! :))

Back