How embarrassing

I remember going to the local hardware supply company when they first starting handling metric screws/nuts. They were color coded!

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

The commission decided that the standard of length should be based on the size of the Earth. They defined that length to be the 'metre' and its length as one ten-millionth of the length of an Earth quadrant, the length of the meridian arc on the Earth's surface from the equator to the north pole.

I suppose they could have picked the circumference of the earth, but then a meter would be four times larger, and a bit impractical to use.

A liter of water weighs 1kg, which seems a lot more sensible than what a gallon of water weighs. (8.33 lbs, yeah, that's easy.)

Dunno, it is what it is. Most of the world uses the metric system, ranting about it won't change that fact. I grew up using the imperial system, but use metric as required today. It's just not that big of a deal, especially with a calculator...

[mod edit]

We agree on a lot here. Make a calendar metric or the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mind can visualize imperial easier once measurements get above a few inches or so, but then I can visualize it once again at a meter., t I have grown into being able to visualize metric fasteners much easier than imperial now. At the end of the day I opted for digital metrology equipment so I can move my shop towards metric. Much easier to work with no fractions from a practical perspective. Just have to re-train my brain to better visualize dimensions now.

A side benefit is 100mm sounds so much more impressive than 4”. :)

We in the UK are all metric… apart from Road signs (MPH/yards) officially. I’m of an age where everything in schools was taught in metric, but my parents measured my height and weight in feet and stone/pounds so these are the measurements that make sense to me.

This has lead to me dealing in speed in mph, measurements of my body in imperial, and all other measurements in metric.

I always have to translate when watching American YouTubers telling things in thousandths etc as they just don’t resonate with me. Is 2 thou much different to 200 thou? I have no idea until I convert to metric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back