How do start my mini mill setup

I like the idea of a quick and easy cleanup. My garage floor is cleaner than some floors in my house. I need to start with a temporary setup because my wood top bench is going to ship for a couple of months. I think I'll start with a block on top of a tray until I get my bench. I'll post pics this Tuesday when I start. Thanks everyone

Pipehack,
Hows the turning going? the bits still cutting good? Hey did you catch the thread about finish on mild steel? if not check it out, may save youa lot of time.
Mark

So far so good. I have to get some 12L14 round stock. I've been told that machines much better. I'm just going to stop grabbing stuff off of jobsites. It weighs down my backpack and I really don't know what it is. Kinda staying off the foot today, for the most part. I'm refinishing a couple of ball peen hammers I got at an estate sale for $2.00 each. I'm a little weird that way. Stain and lots of poly. Almost too nice to use.

Yes,
Try some SS or AL also. If you just want to play a little with some AL pick someup at the local hardware you should be able to get a close to chrome finish. Where are you getting the 12L14?

So far so good. I have to get some 12L14 round stock. I've been told that machines much better. I'm just going to stop grabbing stuff off of jobsites. It weighs down my backpack and I really don't know what it is. Kinda staying off the foot today, for the most part. I'm refinishing a couple of ball peen hammers I got at an estate sale for $2.00 each. I'm a little weird that way. Stain and lots of poly. Almost too nice to use.

On the topic of belt conversions for mini-mills, some would say that there are only two kinds of gear drive. Those that have and those that will. Fail, that is. Mine lasted a couple of years and then the plastic gears exploded.

You can (I think) order metal gears, but let's look at a couple of factors. When the plastic gears fail, they may be saving some other part of the mill from breaking. Belt drive will merely slip under extreme loads with no damage to any parts. My belts hasn't slipped in use yet.

Another benefit of changing from gears to belt is that it's much quieter. With gears, I had to wear hearing protection for all but the slowest cuts. After changing to belt drive, the mill is really quiet at all speeds.

I'd advise going to belt at your earliest convenience.

Well I have been working on my setup and i built a stand that ill clamp to my bench out of some left over MDF I had. I painted it then mounted the mill to stand and Ill clamp the stand to my bench. I don't really like drilling into the bench. I then Installed the hairspring conversion and I'm please that the head doesn't fall near the top of the Z.

I'm going to install my Igaging DRO's in the next week. Can anyone help me out on how to drill the back of the saddle for the x axis sensor? Can it be drilled while on the base or do I have to remove it? If I have to remove does anyone have instructions on how to do it?

Here is a picture of what I have so far. Thanks for all the help everyone.
photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Just a thought here (Sorry it doesn't answer your question.)...

Looking at your setup I would recommend that you find a large piece of plexiglass to put between the mill and the wall/equipment/outlets. You will find that chips get thrown everywhere and end up in spots you wouldn't imagine. Cleaning up the chips off the electrical equipment will be a pain but more than that I would be concerned with chips finding their ways in to the open power receptacles.

JMHO

-Ron

That's my little mill! :)

Give me time to get home and have some dinner, and I'll tell you what I did to mount my scales to the saddle (x and y axis mounts).

Bill

Good idea on covering for electrical stuff. I'll do that before I start milling.

Without trying to be nitpicking, most electrical codes call for 3 feet of clearance in front of those load centers.
Enjoy your new machine

Without trying to be nitpicking, most electrical codes call for 3 feet of clearance in front of those load centers.
Enjoy your new machine

Im running out of room in my garage but I'll try to work something out that's to code and safer.

Back
Top Bottom