How do start my mini mill setup

Hd172

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone I have my new mini mill sitting in my garage and I'm not sure where I should start on the setup. I've read a few articles here on tramming. Is there anything I should do as far as mounting and planning for clean ups that will make life easier for me in the future?

Hi everyone I have my new mini mill sitting in my garage and I'm not sure where I should start on the setup. I've read a few articles here on tramming. Is there anything I should do as far as mounting and planning for clean ups that will make life easier for me in the future?

Hey HD

Congrats on the new machine! Pics always help with questions, and people enjoy looking too. :)

What machine is it?

Do you have any stand or table yet, or want to buy a dedicated one? Some folks mount a small machine like that on a bench with wood legs or blocks to absorb a little vibration. Or, directly to an enormously heavy benchtop if ya got it hah.

As regards cleanup, many people buy acrylic or, preferably, LEXAN (polycarbonate) sheets and mount them around the machine or on arms or stands to keeps chips in one place. Depends on your needs- lots of room to let chips fall on the floor and sweep? Not me! I need to block chips in place, and vacuum. No pressurized air for me, it will just blow chips onto another machine.

Tramming depends on the machine again, but it is just something you get the hang of. You don't absolutely need to get it perfect to start cutting, depending on what you are doing, but surely want it pretty darn good before you start cutting something you care about. :)

Do you have an indicator of any kind? Let us know what you have and we can help you use it on that machine.

Good luck, and welcome!

Bernie

Congrats On the machine! As far as clean up mineral spirits will get the packing grease of Get a plastic scraper use that to remove the heavy is part of the grease. Be sure to get all the grease off. Then be sure to dry off all the spirits. After that re-oil all unpainted parts.
For tramming go to this site if it is not in you manual. Open the mini mill manual there and it will give you the way to tram the mill.
http://littlemachineshop.com/gallery/docs.php?type=ug
Hope this helps
Mark

This is a very timely thread for me. I am in a similar position.

my HF mini mill will arrive Wednesday. I couldn't pass up the discounts that got me down to $404 before tax and shipping.
I've done very little hands on milling myself. I've been bring things I need milled to others. so this will be a learning experience all the way around.
I don't plan to put it to immediate use, so that gives me time setup and also get some tooling, and do some playing with it before I put it to use on a project.

i'm all set to disassemble clean and lubricate the mill and have read a few write-ups on that.

I did see some of the starter kits at LMS what do people think of those.
can I do better elsewhere? should I roll my own starter kit.

I would think the first things I will need after re-assembling are tools to help me tram the mill. dial indicator etc.

what would be the recommended toolset to get started?

I've heard those TiN coated endmills Gaul in aluminum, and I mostly will be milling aluminum.
Trying to keep the total cost down, but I don't want to skimp to the point that the tools work against me.
if I can be all in at $1000 id consider it a win. - so figure I have about 600 left to spend. on this round anyway.

here is what I am considering:
clamping kit
some parallels
123 blocks
3" precision vice
r8 collet set
set of center drills
borer set (hf has one not sure if tis good lms also has them)
endmill set - probaly not tin coated?

this kit at lms seems to have a lot of what i am looking for.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4858&category=879658189
but wondering if i can do better or the same for less. I do not mind ordering from several places as I have time to collect what I should have.

also considering one of the poor mans dro setups so i can easily do metric.

please feel free to point me to informative threads to read.

I've read a bit about belt drive conversion, is the opinion this is a necessity, or something that can wait or totally un necessary.

Thanks

I've bought most of my new tooling and accessories for my HF minimill from LMS, and I'm happy with them. Not sure I'd trust HF for any tooling or drills. I find that the LMS clamp kits, tooling packages, and other accessories are of adequate or good quality, and a pretty decent value. I also got their belt drive conversion (yes, I managed to shatter the plastic gear, like most do). I have the lift cylinder kit and will install that soon. I also have the iGages DRO on X,Y & Z, which I like and have installed successfully. Now that I think about it, I'm into LMS pretty heavily because I also bought their horizontal/vertical rotary indexing table and a four jaw chuck with tailstock, as well as a small angle plate. With all that, there's not much the little mill can't do as long as I can figure out the right machining sequence and methods.:thinking: And that's the fun part.

I mounted my mill on a 2" x 12" x 12" block of UHMW which I happened to have on hand. It's through-bolted to the table. That provides enough clearance to operate the Y axis handwheel without skinning knuckles. I also bought a small gooseneck lamp to mount on the mill, because you can never have enough light on the material and tool. You'll see a lot of comments on drill kits here - take the advice. I tried to cheap out with Grizzly's cheap combo set and found them to be of very poor quality. You get what you pay for. Consider a good set in shorter lengths for your mill.

Tom

Congrats on the machine. That's my next purchase. Listen to these guys. They're great and packed with knowledge. I'm new so I really can't offer any advice. I would build a heavy duty dedicated table. You'll spend quite a bit on accessories. Pop up some pics. I'd love to see what you got. Too bad you're so far away but I don't blame you for living on the west coat. It's nice there.

Pipehack,
Hows the turning going? the bits still cutting good? Hey did you catch the thread about finish on mild steel? if not check it out, may save youa lot of time.
Mark

Congrats on the machine. That's my next purchase. Listen to these guys. They're great and packed with knowledge. I'm new so I really can't offer any advice. I would build a heavy duty dedicated table. You'll spend quite a bit on accessories. Pop up some pics. I'd love to see what you got. Too bad you're so far away but I don't blame you for living on the west coat. It's nice there.

Tom,

thanks, I like the idea of mounting it on a block, I will do that and the feedback on LMS tooling

I was wondering the gas lift kit, but I figured that could wait.

the more I read, the more I am thinking the belt drive is really a necessity.
I've seen some "cheaper" kits, namely these
http://www.mbbilici.com/?p=85 which has a spindle lock but no cover.
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Mini-Mil...624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331947690
though i'm leaning to the LMS one from a long term support perspective.

Another congrats on the new mill. If you're new to milling, you'll find the best teacher is experience. There's a certain knack, or feel for manual milling when it comes to feeds and speeds.

For tooling, get a good collet set, vise and clamp kit. I've had good results with used tooling on ebay. I also look for cutters there. Some are good, some not so much. My little Sherline is mounted to a block of 2x12. I clamp the block to a bench or tool cart, depending on the need. I will mount it permanently one day, but it has never been a problem.

innkeeper,
I got my mini from LMS, and I got the package with the start up kit, I am very happy with the quality of the tools. the only thing I had problems with was the end mill, seemed to dull pretty quick, but that could have been my lack of experiance. (i was cutting to light and doing more rubbing than cutting) I have had this set up for over a year and a few of the end mill are sill good. as far as price it looks like a good deal. If you can do better I do not know. If I were you I would order some extra end mill like 1/2, 3/8/, and 1/4. this mill dose not like much bigger than 1/2 end mills, and I tend to use 3/8 in steel.
Hope this helps, Mark

Back