How Did This Machinist Make This Surface Gauge?

I have never been a sucker for buying top rated tools at top pricing with a "best" reputation due to the name on it, when there are equal quality vintage tools available at MUCH lower pricing...
Bob,
I would agree, I do have one exception though.
I had to have Starrett Tap wrenches. 91A and 91B. Surprisingly though, I had to clean and polish the action to get that smooth operation. There was grit and burrs on both when I opened them when brand new.
I was sick of the taps coming loose. Once you have used one of these, there is no going back to the dark side. IMHO

I have two the size you are talking of and two about half the size of the one in question all handmade. The one on the far right is a lufkin. image.jpgThe middle one in the back and the two smaller ones were made by a talented fella named Rudy lung back in 63. The one in the back row far left was my first one same design as yours also with no markings. it’s my nicest one use all the time.AB669739-B384-497E-89B2-03D961CF3C7F.jpegimage.jpgThese seem fairly easy to make. Hardest part would be the bore for the pivoting arm. Bore has a taper that leads to a deep bore.
I made a gauge base for tool height on my lathe. Fluted the sides with a large ball end mill. Not the same as gauge base in question. image.jpgimage.jpg
My guess is they used a horizontal mill with a specially ground mill cutter. Nice little project with a mill and SG.

Attachments

• BCDBBB7B-2496-4376-9CAE-0DA2F075F1DF.jpeg
    BCDBBB7B-2496-4376-9CAE-0DA2F075F1DF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • F3D006E1-CBF7-4F2C-A54B-01E82AA921E2.jpeg
    F3D006E1-CBF7-4F2C-A54B-01E82AA921E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
My guess is they used a horizontal mill with a specially ground mill cutter. Nice little project with a mill and SG.
Makes sense.
Yeah, I think this is a great project. It will challenge me for sure.

Bob,
I would agree, I do have one exception though.
I had to have Starrett Tap wrenches. 91A and 91B. Surprisingly though, I had to clean and polish the action to get that smooth operation. There was grit and burrs on both when I opened them when brand new.
I was sick of the taps coming loose. Once you have used one of these, there is no going back to the dark side. IMHO

I don't mind at all having to clean up and re-fit old tooling bought at bargain prices. After getting them working properly, fits adressed and nicely cleaned up and polished (also often left with the existing patina, to better remember the previous owner(s)), I then have nice warm memories every time I use the tool. Buying new Starrett tools (nice as they are) with their sky high pricing, does not get me that same feel good smile... Confession -- My name is Bob Korves, and I am a tightwad... ;-)

I am convinced it's a Starrett.
It has the name on the rod and the black paint on the base kind of gives it away.
Plus, the base alignment pins have a spring to preload the action.
This was professionally done in my opinion, which doesn't account for much.

Attachments

• sg 1.jpg
    sg 1.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 14
  • sg 2.jpg
    sg 2.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 15
  • pin 1.jpg
    pin 1.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 13
  • pin 2.jpg
    pin 2.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I am convinced it's a Starrett.
It has the name on the rod and the black paint on the base kind of gives it away.
Plus, the base alignment pins have a spring to preload the action.
This was professionally done in my opinion, which doesn't account for much.
I have one like it, and have seen many others like it, in multiple sizes and configurations. Yep, it is a Starrett...

Diverging slightly, I found this one a while back that I’m pretty sure is shop made. I like the design — it’s quite pleasing but very basic. Fine adjustment for height is via the large knurled collar, the thumbscrew locks the height (I think). A while later I ran across what looked like the drawings for it in an old Southbend projects booklet so my guess is it was built from that. It’s pretty simple, would make a nice starter project for the lathe.

1638459112510.jpeg
1638459156423.jpeg

-frank

I have one like it, and have seen many others like it, in multiple sizes and configurations. Yep, it is a Starrett...
To my benefit, the guy that sold it to me thought it was shop made.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.

Back