How Did This Machinist Make This Surface Gauge?

Went out to the garage and rummaged through the scrap box to find my quite unfinished ones . VoTech project that started 45 years ago . Maybe this will light a fire under my a** lol . If I remember they are tool steel that we would have heat treated and ground.
never finished??? Never really started maybe ;)

I can’t remember for sure but if you look at the slot on the one it looks like I didn’t drill the hole for the spring correctly and grabbed and piece of stock .

@Janderso
This is a Starrett, it's got sharp edges. yours may be a different size, they made a few, this only has 2 pins.. I know some had 4 pins..

Attachments

• 20211130_135248.jpg
    20211130_135248.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211130_135305.jpg
    20211130_135305.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211130_135328.jpg
    20211130_135328.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 29
The last time I used any of my gauges …. I kept one small one just to look at and remember my past.

Aren’t they useful for holding a DTI to measure parts on a surface plate? I was doing that yesterday and then decided to use my height gauge instead. Or say, for example, I want to measure a pin in a v-block to see if it’s straight; surface gauge would be the way to hold an indicator?

Aren’t they useful for holding a DTI to measure parts on a surface plate? I was doing that yesterday and then decided to use my height gauge instead. Or say, for example, I want to measure a pin in a v-block to see if it’s straight; surface gauge would be the way to hold an indicator?
yep, both are useful, also it can hang over a lot farther than a height gauge. both have their purposes.
I use mine more with a DTI, and leave my height gauge with a scribe.

Sure they are , but I have numerous other indicator holders that would do the same thing of higher quality . I was downsizing what I didn't use or need . Height gauge and nice drop indicator holders etc .

Maybe they ground off the logo? It's professionally made for sure.
For what it's worth, the only Starrett logo on mine is on the rod, and no that's not my surface plate, that's my wife's granite counter top!

Starrett Loge.jpeg

Back