How Did This Machinist Make This Surface Gauge?

The seller may have advertised it as "shop made", but that looks absolutely identical to my Starrett surface gauge.
Starretts , at least all I've ever owned , had the cool looking HT colors left intact . Definately nice looking tools . :encourage:

I think all the cuts could be made with manual machines and an RT to cut the arcs along with appropriate tooling. It forsn't look like there was much file work or if there was, the machinist was very good. Blending could be don with a flap wheel.

Starretts , at least all I've ever owned , had the cool looking HT colors left intact . Definately nice looking tools . :encourage:
I have a very old Starrett on, not a single bit of blueing or heat treat visible. it looks very close to it

Perhaps the pieces spent some time in a deburring tumbler?

A beautiful piece of work ! Could the radius be done by a planner with a tool ground like that or if none available a vertical mill with the head tilted ?

How did he cut the rounded sides?
I do have a large ball end mill.
I guess a fly cutter could cut those grooves as well??

A beautiful piece of work ! Could the radius be done by a planner with a tool ground like that or if none available a vertical mill with the head tilted ?
Beats me.

The seller may have advertised it as "shop made", but that looks absolutely identical to my Starrett surface gauge. If it is shop made, someone sure put a lot of work into duplicating every part perfectly.
Nice find by the way.
Richard
Maybe they ground off the logo? It's professionally made for sure.

To them, lathes and mills were simply for "roughing in" the desired shape. All else was hand work. With files.
Lots of files.
I guess this is a lost art.
I would love to be able to do this type of work.

I have to agree that this was not shop made, it reeks of factory made in all the small details.

Back