Horizontal Twin

Truly inspirational Ray. You most definitely have a knack for this. I read your threads and hope that one day I could do work at your level. Keep it up.

Thanks Chris it's starting to look like an engine.

WobblyHand that is very kind of you to say I do appreciate it.

You may have noticed I am jumping around to different sections of the build and not really completing much. The reason is I am still waiting on parts to come in for the cam drives and this time of year shipping is a little slow so now another jump.

Fuel tank and support bracket.
IMG_2590.JPG

I need something to mount the tank to so a nice piece of poplar was chosen.
I routed out a section for the electronics and wiring and gave it a good coat of walnut stain.
IMG_2592.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

This shows how I mounted the electronics in the slot.
IMG_2596.JPG

A view from the top showing the access holes for the wiring.
Now to get the wires all routed to the correct place.
IMG_2599.JPG

All the wires routed and the wiring completed.
Note the spacers I added to the rubber feet to raise the board up to get enough clearance for the modules.
IMG_2602.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

The wiring is completed and I checked for spark on both modules.
IMG_2604.JPG

I made and installed a throttle lever.
IMG_2607.JPG

Mounted and hooked up the gas tank.
IMG_2612.JPG

Still waiting on parts.:(

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Geezer

My shipment has finally arrived and everything fits. Getting the right length belts has been a nightmare. XL belts ,which is what I started with, come in 1" length increments as 16" was too short and 17" is too long. After much searching I found the T5 belts are the same except they are 10mm wide instead of 3/8" wide and they are offered in 2 tooth increments or 0.400. I now have a very good stock of timing belts that are not the right length but I will keep them as I may use them for another project some day.

I made up some idler pulleys for the timing belts.
IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

Not much left to do before trying to start the engine just the exhaust and adjusting the valve timing.
Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks for looking
Ray

The speed that these engines are appearing
This build has been quick probably because I used previously made parts from another model. That model was made into a V-Twin and it used a new ball bearing crankshaft with different pistons and connecting rods so these parts were left over and used here.

I usually spend 3 to 5 hours each day making something in my shop if it is an engine or doing some woodworking or repairing something else that's what I enjoy.

Thanks Savarin and Firstram.

Ray

Back