Hobby Machinist Group in New Jersey?

Absolutely!

I have my daughter 50% of the time, more alternating bi-weekly- we can surely work something out so you can make it and not miss ay time with them.

I'd love to learn more about CNC, as I have many components to start a small mill I have, but have had a crazy couple of years that got in the way :)

Bernie

Well, you are welcome to come out here any time to play around with the machine, and have a beer or 2.

Bernie,

Thanks for being such a gracious host! :man:

I knew you were well equipped but I didn't realize you were THAT well equipped! You have so much stuff that I'll bet every time you open a drawer it's like Christmas; you forgot you had one of those! The shaper was mesmerizing; I could just watch it for hours.

Maybe Rob and Rich are right and we should have a theme visit. I, for one, would love to learn about making little steam or Stirling engines.

A couple of photos of Bernie's shop... well, a tiny portion of Bernie's shop. As he says, he's still in the process of setting it up after relocating.

Visit to Bernies 13-Jul-2013.jpg Visit to Bernies 13-Jul-2013 (2).jpg

Visit to Bernies 13-Jul-2013.jpg Visit to Bernies 13-Jul-2013 (2).jpg

The pictures don't do.it justice. It's sensory overload from every angle.
After leaving Bernie 's garage, I took a look at my own... it feels and looks solo empty in comparison

I am definitely going to do more storage, it really was put to great use at Bernie's

Rich

Thanks for the photos-(it's always nice to know mine isn't the only "cluttered" shop!)'

Nice machines, too! I am envious as I only have a Chinese 3-in-1.

Hi Rich:

I know what you mean about not knowing what to look for-I have been machining now for about 20 years and I still would not be 100% sure if a used lathe or mill was good or bad-maybe if I could us it a bit...

I will say that if you can get it cheaply enough, any lathe is better than no lathe!!

I just spent about 4 hours shimming/tramming my mill head-I've had this 3-in-1 for about 20 years and I never knew it was out until a few months ago-I think I've finally got it where I want it.

A couple of photos of Bernie's shop... well, a tiny portion of Bernie's shop. As he says, he's still in the process of setting it up after relocating.

View attachment 57159 View attachment 57160

Thanks Charlie!

In the left photo, you can see the "18 TPI tattoo" I gave myself that morning, lifting the little power hacksaw... Hah hah ...

And in the right-hand photo, all the way to the right, is the $10 craftsman rolling tool box set that was left outside for a year or so, and I brought it back to life!

Yes, I am still organizing, getting rid, selling, and giving way things since my move in. But your visit sure made a difference- more in the front of the shop, where I am standing.

Bernie

The pictures don't do.it justice. It's sensory overload from every angle.
After leaving Bernie 's garage, I took a look at my own... it feels and looks solo empty in comparison

I am definitely going to do more storage, it really was put to great use at Bernie's

Rich

Hah hah Rich! My goal is to have less overload, and more clear organization.... But I make do with what I have! No more horizontal space? Build up! Hah hah

Bernie

Thanks for the photos-(it's always nice to know mine isn't the only "cluttered" shop!)'

Nice machines, too! I am envious as I only have a Chinese 3-in-1.

I started with a -really- beat up Atlas 618 and a Sherline Mill about ten years ago. The rest is love, attention, elbow grease, and one eye on Craigslist and Ebay! :)

Bernie

I will say that if you can get it cheaply enough, any lathe is better than no lathe!!

YES. EXACTLY. The machines I started with were beaters, and I was THRILLED. I spent a while buffing, polishing, tuning, tweaking. Eventually had a few machines I could sell for something. Then moved a step up.

The machine I am most wanting to restore/replace is the Hardinge Mill, with a nicer one. If I can take Richard's scraping class, I'll go nuts on the Hardinge and keep it for sure :)

I see mills and lathes of different sizes go up on CL all the time for steal-away prices, if someone wouldn't mind a bit of work, and won't mind moving something a little bigger (800+ pounds). This weight is not hard to manage for a few adults and some basic, cheap, heavy moving tools.

Bernie

The machine I am most wanting to restore/replace is the Hardinge Mill, with a nicer one. If I can take Richard's scraping class, I'll go nuts on the Hardinge and keep it for sure

Scraping... I'm really interested in learning what it is, and how to do it... BUT I think I would be too terrified of ruining something that can't be repaired (think "whoops" when you are working on ways) to actually try it... :scared:

Back