Hobby Machine Shop Advice

Once running, a compressor is a set-and-forget item. Do you have enough ceiling height to put the compressor on a shelf above something else? This would free up valuable floor space. Perhaps above a welding bench or grinder? Can the compressor go in the shed next door? (Pretty easy to sneak a power cord over there.)

Thank you! He did alot with it over the years, but I guess he knew exactly what he needed an how to get the most out of it with it being his trade!

I think like some others have suggested I may look to put up a stud wall to create a clean and dirty end to the workshop. Though if I went with your suggested layout could go with something like this. Thank you for your input, some good food for thought!
Yes that is what I was thinking about. I can see a few flaws in my suggestion, one being the distance of the mill from the workbench. I work from the right side of a mill, and it might be too tight for me. I am sure you will sort it out for what is best for you. Cheers!

When you place the machines, pay attention to the controls, handles etc. It is easy to measure the foot print and the make your set up on paper, and then find out in use you need to make adjustments, because the placement will have you smacking your hand when you operate a crank, or find it difficult to access a control panel.
In a small shop having to slide a machine over 6" may cascade as you begin to infringe on the next machine over. Also consider the moving bits, both for ensuring full range of motion, but also access to panels, outlets etc.
Milling machines in particular due to the largish table and table travel have a large footprint at table height, but they leave a lot of space below the table. I have some storage behind my mill, which at first glance seems awkward, but when I need to get to the storage rack, I can run the table to the right hand side which opens up a decent passage for me to get past to the rack.

If you are in a cold climate, it will be in the machinery's best interest to have very good insulation and a little heat. Same with a warm humid climate, insulation and a bit of AC will help stave off inevitable rust. It's been the best investment I've ever made for the shop other than good lights.
DanK
A dehumidifier helped my rust issue immensely in my basement shop.

I got a tiny one that is drained into our radon system for convenience.

Once running, a compressor is a set-and-forget item. Do you have enough ceiling height to put the compressor on a shelf above something else? This would free up valuable floor space. Perhaps above a welding bench or grinder? Can the compressor go in the shed next door? (Pretty easy to sneak a power cord over there.)
Compressors Any chance you get to remove a noise producing tool from the space the better.
Compressors are annoying as heck.
Also be mindful of chip discharge.
If/when I start using my mill/lathe combo more I need to make a movable shield to keep chips from flying across my small shed.
Im finding chips where they really should not be going….
I am thinking of a heavy plastic roll up shield .

Back