Hobby Machine Shop Advice

My compressor is the first thing I turn when I go into the shop. And yes, isolate it and quiet it down as much as possible. I have my garage compressor on a sprung platform in the attic. This was done mostly to make room in the garage actual, but it also lessens noise inside the house.

And yes, it is OK to use air to clean off machines counter to what internet experts claim. I tend to use a small shop vac for the most part, but using it wisely as mentioned and wearing PPE are both essential. I generally tend to not blow things off in my basement shop as its too messy, but sometimes there is no better way.

The surface grinder is the one machine it is expressly verboten to use compressed air on.

I have one similar, a Royersford Excelsior and it is indispensable for a few limited tasks.

A power hacksaw will cut off metal more accurately and with less input than any other saw. Put your part in and set it up for the cut you want, walk away until the alarm (Cut off part hitting the floor) goes off. Their great for cutting off square or accurate angles where most other types of saws will leave a cut that needs refining before use.

I have the Royersford for the garage shop and a smaller Dunlap that is in the works for my basement shop.

Hey look, I was helpful!

Im waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get back at that one.
Perhaps not a permanent fix, but I've been reading that a large amount of the noise from the compressor is the intake; so perhaps locating that to the outside will help reduce noise. It's got quite a large tank, so I'm hoping it won't run too much, but perhaps that's wishful thinking!

Good to know about use of air in workshop, thank you!

I think in time I'll look to add a power hacksaw to the collection. Not something I'll need initially, but definitely sounds like they have their uses.

Very useful indeed! I used the manual to get the working measurements for the mill, but the manual will be indispensable once I get the machine in my workshop.

Thank you! He did alot with it over the years, but I guess he knew exactly what he needed an how to get the most out of it with it being his trade!

I think like some others have suggested I may look to put up a stud wall to create a clean and dirty end to the workshop. Though if I went with your suggested layout could go with something like this. Thank you for your input, some good food for thought!
Could you have your compressor in the shed and run a line into the garage?

I think it's generally thought that grinding 'fallout' travels about 5-6 feet, so you can use that as a guide.

I think it's generally thought that grinding 'fallout' travels about 5-6 feet, so you can use that as a guide.
This is mostly true, but 2nd and 3rd order effects come into play also.

I have all my grinders and saws on one end of the shop to keep "the cloud" in one area, but over time it seems to migrate.

Perhaps not a permanent fix, but I've been reading that a large amount of the noise from the compressor is the intake; so perhaps locating that to the outside will help reduce noise. It's got quite a large tank, so I'm hoping it won't run too much, but perhaps that's wishful thinking!

Good to know about use of air in workshop, thank you!

I think in time I'll look to add a power hacksaw to the collection. Not something I'll need initially, but definitely sounds like they have their uses.

Very useful indeed! I used the manual to get the working measurements for the mill, but the manual will be indispensable once I get the machine in my workshop.
Intake noise is the main issue, but vibrations can cause issues also.

For my little 5gal in the basement I made a silencer out of an ovaltine can and some finter material. The holes in the lid are small and do most of the work, but they add some restriction. If Im going to use air tools I take the lid off and deal with the noise as Im likely wearing hearing protection in that case anyway.

You can also see the remote drain line I put on all my compressors. Much easier to drain them this way and youre more likely to do it if its easy.

img_3204-1-jpg.454599

I think in time it may be an option to create a box or something external to my workshop, but for the interim will have to go inside. It's going to take me a while to get everything set up anyway so no dramas.

I think I'll definitely try and keep the grinding seperate to the mill and lathe or at the very least take some precautions with covers.

This is mostly true, but 2nd and 3rd order effects come into play also.

I have all my grinders and saws on one end of the shop to keep "the cloud" in one area, but over time it seems to migrate.

Intake noise is the main issue, but vibrations can cause issues also.

For my little 5gal in the basement I made a silencer out of an ovaltine can and some finter material. The holes in the lid are small and do most of the work, but they add some restriction. If Im going to use air tools I take the lid off and deal with the noise as Im likely wearing hearing protection in that case anyway.

You can also see the remote drain line I put on all my compressors. Much easier to drain them this way and youre more likely to do it if its easy.

img_3204-1-jpg.454599
I think I'll do something similar in having a dirty end and clean end to the workshop.

Some good advice there with the compressor modifications, thank you! This is mine, I picked it up a couple of years ago and still not had it running! Mind you I've not had any tools to run on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220516-155240_Gumtree.jpg
    Screenshot_20220516-155240_Gumtree.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
You can't always make everything what you want - there are inevitably compromises. My compressor is in the shop and it doesn't usually bother me. Sometimes I'll switch it off if I really don't want it kicking on. Most of the time I'm not a heavy air user so it doesn't kick on anyway. If I'm going to do something that uses a lot of air (e.g. sandblasting) I just put on my hearing protection.

I strongly second @RaisedByWolves suggestion to add a remote drain line if you have not already done so.

GsT

If you are in a cold climate, it will be in the machinery's best interest to have very good insulation and a little heat. Same with a warm humid climate, insulation and a bit of AC will help stave off inevitable rust. It's been the best investment I've ever made for the shop other than good lights.
DanK

Hi All,

I'm able to inherit my late grandfather's hobby machine shop. He was a toolmaker by trade and collected alot of cool stuff over the years. During his retirement he built 2 steam locomotives and several other smaller projects.

Although I'll need to condense in places, I think I should be able to take on the machines and some of the key tooling. I have invested in a shed for use as storage freeing up the garage to be a workshop (5.5m x 2.5m).

Would anyone mind taking a look over my proposed layout and offer any thoughts? I've had to guesstimate the size of the surface grinder, bandsaw and pillar drill currently, but based on similar items I can find measurements of, hoping not too far off.

Also, before I transport the tooling is there anything worth noting that could make anything scrap or not worth bringing with me to my workshop? Everything has been in situ unused for in excess of 5 years.

Thanks in advance, Mike
No matter what you will change up set ups over the years. Enjoy the moments

Place the lathe so you can feed a long bar into the spindle. I placed mine so the spindle faces a door which I can open when needed.
This is really important to be able to work with a long bar. I lined up the lathe with the mill so that a long bar could be supported by the mill table, or the table dropped out of the way as needed.

Back