Hobby Machine Shop Advice

Yes, depending on which camp you are in: 1) using compressed air to blow chips way from work/work areas, 2) NEVER use compressed air to blow chips away from... machine tools...!

I am in Camp #1. My compressor runs frequently and is loud enough I keep ear muffs close by as I really do not like the noise.
Okay that makes sense, thank you! My grandfather never used to use air, but that makes sense for how others use it in the workshop. Probably a stupid question, but is the reasoning for not blowing chips from the tools out of safety?

I say use what you have now. A metal cutting vertical band saw will generally do more than a horizontal will. Power hack saws and horizontal band saws cut stock to length and that is about all.
But they do that one task quicker and easier than a vertical band saw will.
Thank you for that! That was my thinking, but wasn't sure, appreciate the advice :)

Your Grandfather had a real nice shop. If possible store everything you don't need now for future possibilities. The grinder needs to be as isolated as possible. The spindle is likely counter-clock wise rotation, so it will throw the grit in that direction. Consider that in it's placement. If at all possible put the compressor outside the shop. Placing the mill diagonally in a corner make a more user friendly work space. I would place the work bench where the band saw, and surface grinder are, the mig set next to the welding table, and the surface grinder, and band saw where the work bench are. The mill, grinder, and lathe, are more difficult to move,so it is best to consider their placement permanent. Everything else can be tweaked if needed.

Okay that makes sense, thank you! My grandfather never used to use air, but that makes sense for how others use it in the workshop. Probably a stupid question, but is the reasoning for not blowing chips from the tools out of safety?
There are no stupid questions around here.

The generally held belief (and rightfully so) is that you do not want to blow swarf (chips) into areas that it shouldn't be. For example, the ways of the machines should be brushed or wiped off to prevent contamination. If you blow the chips, the fine swarf could end up between the ways and whatever is riding on the ways. This could result in a nasty scratch or premature wear.
It can be a safety factor, too, having chips blowing around, but I wear safety glasses whenever I am in my shop, so that is of no concern to me.

I may get some pushback on that, though. Plenty of folks blow their machines off with no ill effects.

The generally held belief (and rightfully so) is that you do not want to blow swarf (chips) into areas that it shouldn't be. For example, the ways of the machines should be brushed or wiped off to prevent contamination. If you blow the chips, the fine swarf could end up between the ways and whatever is riding on the ways. This could result in a nasty scratch or premature wear.
It can be a safety factor, too, having chips blowing around, but I wear safety glasses whenever I am in my shop, so that is of no concern to me.

I may get some pushback on that, though. Plenty of folks blow their machines off with no ill effects.
This sums it up. I was taught, both in school and as an apprentice, that it was permissible (sometimes necessary) to use air to blow the chips off as long as you avoid directing the air under the carriage or table. It's difficult to adequately clean a vise between parts without air.

I'm also in the surgical use of compressed air camp. Vacuum cleaners are good for general cleaning. Air, not so much.

@7milesup mentioned ways, I would add that often older machines, lathes in particular, have gear boxes that are not completely protected. If you look at the QCGB on your lathe, for example, there are openings for the levers that lead into the compartment with the gears. Blowing compressed air anywhere around there will drive dust, chips, swarf and other nasty debris into those gears. The back side of the apron likely has similar issues.

But careful use of air to clean the spindle nose when changing chucks, or to clean an insert holder when putting in a new insert, will save you a lot of headaches.

This sums it up. I was taught, both in school and as an apprentice, that it was permissible (sometimes necessary) to use air to blow the chips off as long as you avoid directing the air under the carriage or table. It's difficult to adequately clean a vise between parts without air.
All sounds like solid advice which makes sense to me, thank you! I think the closest I can get to that solution, for time being at least, is putting up a stud wall similarly to how I think you've done it. Keeping a clean end and dirty end.

Do you think I'll need the compressor on when in the workshop? My main reason for having it, is when I'm working on cars, which would be okay as I'd not be in workshop. when running.

My compressor is the first thing I turn when I go into the shop. And yes, isolate it and quiet it down as much as possible. I have my garage compressor on a sprung platform in the attic. This was done mostly to make room in the garage actual, but it also lessens noise inside the house.

And yes, it is OK to use air to clean off machines counter to what internet experts claim. I tend to use a small shop vac for the most part, but using it wisely as mentioned and wearing PPE are both essential. I generally tend to not blow things off in my basement shop as its too messy, but sometimes there is no better way.

The surface grinder is the one machine it is expressly verboten to use compressed air on.

In defense of power hacksaws...
I had the Keller in the photos for a year or so.
Sold it when I bought my band saw.
I doubt you will find a small saw with a larger a work envelope than you can get with a power hacksaw. And unlike a cheapie foreign bandsaw, they are a real, industrial machine that are capable of doing hard work for many, many years.

I have one similar, a Royersford Excelsior and it is indispensable for a few limited tasks.

That's a very cool machine, certainly looks like it means business! Apologies for my ignorance, but what are the pros of something like this over a vertical bandsaw in a hobby setting?

A power hacksaw will cut off metal more accurately and with less input than any other saw. Put your part in and set it up for the cut you want, walk away until the alarm (Cut off part hitting the floor) goes off. Their great for cutting off square or accurate angles where most other types of saws will leave a cut that needs refining before use.

I have the Royersford for the garage shop and a smaller Dunlap that is in the works for my basement shop.

Funnily enough that thread was how I found this forum when I was searching for info on the mill!
Hey look, I was helpful!

Im waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get back at that one.

Last edited:
Your Grandfather had a real nice shop. If possible store everything you don't need now for future possibilities. The grinder needs to be as isolated as possible. The spindle is likely counter-clock wise rotation, so it will throw the grit in that direction. Consider that in it's placement. If at all possible put the compressor outside the shop. Placing the mill diagonally in a corner make a more user friendly work space. I would place the work bench where the band saw, and surface grinder are, the mig set next to the welding table, and the surface grinder, and band saw where the work bench are. The mill, grinder, and lathe, are more difficult to move,so it is best to consider their placement permanent. Everything else can be tweaked if needed.
Thank you! He did alot with it over the years, but I guess he knew exactly what he needed an how to get the most out of it with it being his trade!

I think like some others have suggested I may look to put up a stud wall to create a clean and dirty end to the workshop. Though if I went with your suggested layout could go with something like this. Thank you for your input, some good food for thought!

Attachments

• Workshop Layout_3.jpg
    Workshop Layout_3.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 18

Makes alot of sense, thank you for taking the time to make it so for me, appreciate it! :)

Back