Hints and Tips

What mill are you using?
Never seen one like that

Cincinnati 2MI Vertical.

Originally owned by the USAF. So old military surplus, I think from the 50’s/ 60’s, maybe older.

I liked it so much I bought a 40’s Milwaukee 4h vertical for my home shop. They are big old beasts for sure.

381d912b5ffaec127488f4504c1e3388.jpg

9f9765dd88628d908f747bc7c8306930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cincinnati 2MI Vertical.

Originally owned by the USAF. So old military surplus, I think from the 50’s/ 60’s, maybe older.

I liked it so much I bought a 40’s Milwaukee 4h vertical for my home shop. They are big old beasts for sure.

those rounds next to the MT drills, are those drops, or dies?

Cincinnati 2MI Vertical.

Ah, yes.
That's a beauty. Heavy duty I bet !!

Cincinnati 2MI Vertical.

If you look up “stout” in the dictionary there would just be a pic of that machine.

This is a public service announcement.. :rolleyes:
Don't do what I did.
I have lost a few corners on end mills. Today I lost another. But I think I have the answer.
My mill uses an MT2 collet, this end mill would not fit in my 3/8 holder, it was too long.
So in it went to the MT2 collet. When I took it out, I had lost the opposite sides single cutting tip.

That's when I noticed that there is a stop in the mt2 collet, and maybe I am putting them in too far and bottoming them out, and when drawn in, it may actually pull the end mill in further, breaking the end. Don't bottom them out in MT holders.
I lost a really good small dovetail cutter... an old PTD that was still sharp as anything.
PXL_20240124_231232661.jpg

:bawling::bawling:

Oh man you have to see this. A very cool way of making a mandrel to tighten parts on.
So simple, WOW... it's the first 2 minutes of the video .
Only problem is the video is 360p, I can't understand why it's not hd..
[VIDEO LOINK REMOVED]
Steve's an amazing tool and die maker. His grinding videos have helped me quite a bit.

Well now, that video has just solved a problem I have been bashing my brain against for a day or two...

Certainly an easy, simple, elegant solution, much akin to the classic conical wedge used on many, many bicycle handlebar stems to lock them into the steerer tube of the front forks.

This is a public service announcement.. :rolleyes:
Don't do what I did.
I have lost a few corners on end mills. Today I lost another. But I think I have the answer.
My mill uses an MT2 collet, this end mill would not fit in my 3/8 holder, it was too long.
So in it went to the MT2 collet. When I took it out, I had lost the opposite sides single cutting tip.

That's when I noticed that there is a stop in the mt2 collet, and maybe I am putting them in too far and bottoming them out, and when drawn in, it may actually pull the end mill in further, breaking the end. Don't bottom them out in MT holders.
I lost a really good small dovetail cutter... an old PTD that was still sharp as anything.
View attachment 475533

:bawling::bawling:
After thinking about it, I don't think it was the stop points. I now think its the draw bar. I made it long because some of my end mill holders were only grabbing by a thread or 2 , so I wanted extra length. So I don't believe it was the stop... this wasn't happening before I built the new draw bar a year or 2 ago. I used that dovetail cutter before then and never had a problem.
So in thinking about it... Its the extra length draw bar that is breaking

those rounds next to the MT drills, are those drops, or dies?

Those are old hydraulic cylinder parts that has been remade. I keep them around for making various things as needed. To good to scrap, IMO. But I had to make the shelves so I could semi organize them to make them easier to find when needed.

I plan on moving these down the wall 8’ to behind an spare lathe, since I don’t have to access them all the time, And increase the drill storage area to better organize the drill bits we have and more easily accessible.

The area is still a work in progress, but still miles ahead of where it was when I first came to this shop 6 years ago. All those drill bits used to be stored in the chip pan of a lathe, no rhyme or reason in order.

After thinking about it, I don't think it was the stop points. I now think its the draw bar. I made it long because some of my end mill holders were only grabbing by a thread or 2 , so I wanted extra length. So I don't believe it was the stop... this wasn't happening before I built the new draw bar a year or 2 ago. I used that dovetail cutter before then and never had a problem.
So in thinking about it... Its the extra length draw bar that is breaking
That was my initial thought, but then you said a bunch of things and I got distracted by a shiny object.

Back