High Shipping Cost

I use USPS flat rate for most things I sell from home. The USPS also has region A and Region B boxes that few know about. Region A is about the same rate as a small flat rate and is much bigger. I use Amazon Prime instead of Ebay. Cheap stuff (drill chuck arbors last month) from Hong Kong took 4 weeks but the shipping was free.
Dan

I was going to purchase an ER32 collet (MT3) chuck and 19 collets for my SB9A lathe. The cost was very reasonable, totalling about $76 for everything. I was about to purchase it but was floored by the shipping charge of $46 for surface shipping which takes 6-8 weeks, the cheapest.

I know the parts are not lightweight but with the price of shipping being over 50% of the cost of the items, it just seemed a bit excess? Maybe not?
I know a lot of people don't like Enco stuff, say it's cheap, but they do offer "premium" brands on a lot of products. Here's a free shipping (UPS ground) code for you if they have what you're looking. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM?cm_mmc=Email-_-060915-_-NA-_-R

Not ashamed to admit it; I'll go to ebay and search items with "free shipping" only,

I could give a rats patootie where it's coming from or how long it will be if it's free shipping...

That chuck and full 19pc set is approx $77 on ebay including shipping Note, the collets are shipped from the USA. It's the weight that drives up the shipping cost from China.

Here's the collet set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER32-19-PCS...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e2afc9c4

I stopping buying from CTC due to their ridiculous shipping costs.

I've found other china based ebay sellers supply the same quality, probably comes from the same factory.

Also, consider you'll be covered by ebay's money back guarantee

discount machine ( Shars ) , while I have quite a few of their tools, recently quoted me their best shipping cost ( to Canada ) for a single 3/8" carbide radius turning tool. $38.00 US !!! Told them to keep it and have a nice day.

Dr. Duz: Enco prices are very very high even with free shipping compared to CTC Tools

Martik, those are all metric sets on eBay. BTW, are the tolerances such in metric that you can use them in place of imperial?

Oh Yes, buy the metric - I have never had an issue holding imperial sized material.

You may want to consider the ER25 size, much less $$$$ and only an 1/8" less. I use mine on the mill too, so the smaller profile works better.

BTW, Using an MT3 collet chuck on the lathe will severely limit the usable length of stock, much better to make your own, screw on the spindle style, then your can use any length you want.

Last edited:
discount machine ( Shars ) , while I have quite a few of their tools, recently quoted me their best shipping cost ( to Canada ) for a single 3/8" carbide radius turning tool. $38.00 US !!! Told them to keep it and have a nice day.

Are you near the border?

I get all my USA shipments sent to a mail box in Blaine, where I pickup for $2/pkg

Back