High Shipping Cost

McMaster doesn't even charge that much and they ship next day.

"plus shipping and processing, but wait, get another one free. just pay separate shipping and processing" the makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and scream.
often times i will do a "will call" purchase and send a "pick-up" tag thru UPS or Speedee. . . . . or find a different supplier.

I went to their website but there's no customer phone number to call, just an email, so I emailed them asking about the steep cost of shipping and the 2 items I'd like to order. Perhaps they have a shipping discount I'm thinking?

I'll let you know what their response is if they respond.

I don't know if I should name the mfgr? Let me know if I can. It's a very popular one and I've purchased stuff years ago from them (tailstock chucks and MT2s), but don't recall the price being this high.

BTW, if you want it by air in 3 days it's $88. I'm pretty sure it's Chinese.
I don't see why you shouldn't name the manufacturer or vendor. We have forums and subforums named for manufacturers and vendors. Just a thought. Inquiring minds want to know who it is.

Tom

LOL! Try shipping anything to Canada.....we often pay more than the cost of the item to ship. :confused:

Yep I'm with "great white".

I have stopped ordering from a number of US suppliers (Wholesale Tool, Reid tool supply, etc.)
Some don't tell you how they'll ship and how your package will be held hostage; if you don't pay another $40 on delivery you don't get it.
Even online; why does amazon.com have sooo many tools, but amazon.ca is soooo useless!

You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be in the continental US.
Shipping from there to anywhere else is prohibitively expensive.
The next time I hear a sales rep say the Canada is "over-seas" I'm gonna scream "Check a freaking map!!"

It's always been a sore spot with me, but I don't know who to blame.

-brino

Yep I'm with "great white".

I have stopped ordering from a number of US suppliers (Wholesale Tool, Reid tool supply, etc.)
Some don't tell you how they'll ship and how your package will be held hostage; if you don't pay another $40 on delivery you don't get it.
Even online; why does amazon.com have sooo many tools, but amazon.ca is soooo useless!

You guys have no idea how lucky you are to be in the continental US.
Shipping from there to anywhere else is prohibitively expensive.
The next time I hear a sales rep say the Canada is "over-seas" I'm gonna scream "Check a freaking map!!"

It's always been a sore spot with me, but I don't know who to blame.

-brino
UPS, FedEx, etc. The extra "fees" at the door is what they term "brokerage". Basically, they hold your package and forward paperwork to customs.

I wouldn't be so "pee eye double essed" about that if USPS didn't include it in the price of shipping already.

For the "privileged" of UPS/FedEx/etc, you pay extra on top of the shipping fees which are about the same as USPS rates.

Don't get me started on eBay and that "Pitney Bowes" partnership shipping ridiculousness. They charge you brokerage on top of the shipping up front and then it arrives via USPS! They, quite bluntly, pocket the brokerage fees since the USPS shipping rates include it and the shipping quoted in ebay auctions is usually what USPS would charge anyways. Crooks, total, complete, absolute crooks!

Brokerage. Another word for robbery.

Couriers are on the same level as insurance, lawyers and bankers in my book: vultures.

A lot of the fees on delivery are just taxes for me. Although it seems totally random for what shipments I get charged on.

In my book it goes Fedex >DHL>USPS>....................................................>UPS

Some women's clothing sellers just rob you to increase their revenue. I ordered a pair of shoes for my wife as a present from Tennessee years ago from some stupid outfit. The shipping was very high. Well,they didn't fit,and when I sent them back,the shipping was about 10% of what I paid to get them. They said "That's just the agreement we have with UPS". I said "That's a good way to never have a repeat customer."

I do all the boxing and running to the PO for my wifes ebay sales. She charges only the cost of shipping. I don’t get a cent for my time, packing materials, gas for the car and all the other nonsense. And my wife will still get complaints for buyers about the cost of shipping! I say to them, get into car and drive all over town and buy it that way. And by the way, eBay charges their sellers fees on shipping costs as well!!! So if you sell on eBay you get charged a finial value fee for the item and the same percentage fee for the shipping costs!!!

Last edited:
This was a retail company. Not an Ebay seller. This was before Ebay.

I think they charged me something like $30.00 to send them. It cost about $5.00 to return the shoes.

How does that suit you?

We have a home business,and ship UPS packages every day. My wife makes jewelry. She packs the boxes and drives them to the UPS pick up box. The actual shipping charges are the only thing the customer is charged. Not included is the cost of driving the boxes to the UPS box.

Anyone charging the outrageous shipping I paid for those shoes is a rip off artist just increasing revenue,and will not get any more business from me. These retail shipping companies do not run all over town to ship packages. They have a shipper's truck pick them up daily. We are too small to get that.

Last edited:
Back