High Shipping Cost

SE18

Active User
Registered
I was going to purchase an ER32 collet (MT3) chuck and 19 collets for my SB9A lathe. The cost was very reasonable, totalling about $76 for everything. I was about to purchase it but was floored by the shipping charge of $46 for surface shipping which takes 6-8 weeks, the cheapest.

I know the parts are not lightweight but with the price of shipping being over 50% of the cost of the items, it just seemed a bit excess? Maybe not?

• I have noticed this also. I think industrial supply houses tend to have higher shipping costs than vendors who sell to consumers. Consumers expect low shipping costs so sellers hide the full cost of shipping elsewhere. I suspect that sellers who sell to industrial customers charge their full cost... cost of packaging, cost of UPS or FedEx, the salary of the person who picks the item and packs it, maybe overhead costs, and maybe some profit.

I was going to purchase an ER32 collet (MT3) chuck and 19 collets for my SB9A lathe. The cost was very reasonable, totalling about $76 for everything. I was about to purchase it but was floored by the shipping charge of $46 for surface shipping which takes 6-8 weeks, the cheapest.

I know the parts are not lightweight but with the price of shipping being over 50% of the cost of the items, it just seemed a bit excess? Maybe not?

$46 is way too expensive for 6 to 8 week delivery. Where is the supplier located?

Tom S.

All that should fit in a USPS Priority Mail Medium flat rate box. 2 or 3 days anywhere in the US for $12.65 (even less if postage is purchased online) The postal service supplies the box for free. I would find another vendor.

Shipping costs are an interesting issue. One has to realize that many vendors include the cost of paperwork and boxing up the order along with the actual shipping charges. This seems to be typical of the major suppliers. Some vendors figure a shipping cost based on the assumption that the item is the only item being ordered which can pile up shipping one a larger order. Other vendors lure people in with low product prices making up the difference with high shipping and handling costs. This seems to be a common ploy on e-Bay. Another issue is vendors like McMaster and Enco who split your order up into various shipments and charge full shipping costs on each. I have recieved $1 parts with $6 shipping costs.
When pricing items, I always check the cost of shipping before ordering. Add some other "nice to have's" to your order and see if it impacts the shipping. Many times, the shipping will not change and it is a good way to get that missing tap or end mill for your collection. Some vendors have regular "free shipping" offers. I make up wish lists for those vendors and wait for the free shipping. Finally, although ordering online is convenient, consider phoning your order in. Many time you can cut a deal on shipping costs.

At $76 for 19 collets and a chuck plus 6-8 weeks shipping time, 5this sounds like a China vendor. It looks like low pricing to lure you in and high shipping to make their money. Even at $122, it still looks like a reasonable cost (quality notwithstanding). I suspect the long shipping time is due to shipping on a container ship. Those costs are usually far below the rate quoted to you so again it is probably where they are making their profit on the sale.

All that should fit in a USPS Priority Mail Medium flat rate box. 2 or 3 days anywhere in the US for $12.65 (even less if postage is purchased online) The postal service supplies the box for free. I would find another vendor.
I'd call the vendor on the phone, complain about the shipping cost, and ask them to ship via USPS or some other low-cost shipper such as Spee-Dee Delivery. That has worked for me with several vendors.

I don't know if I should name the mfgr? Let me know if I can. It's a very popular one and I've purchased stuff years ago from them (tailstock chucks and MT2s), but don't recall the price being this high.

BTW, if you want it by air in 3 days it's $88. I'm pretty sure it's Chinese.

Back