Help with Harbor Freight switch.

Sorry, I can't count today. :face slap: Six wires plus ground. However, the start and run capacitors are external to the motor, hence extra wires. U1, U2, V1, & W2 run to the switch and W1 & V2 go to the capacitors. Yg is the ground wire.

If you wanted a temp solution:
View attachment 442772
I used the temp solution today, and Murphy's law, of course it was going in Reverse, so I changed the wires, as you pointed out and all is working fine.
We have already done two projects, thus the need to do the temp wiring. I reduced the thickness of a plastic panel where I'm mounting a switch and my son used to mill slots in wood for a cable hanger he is making for his computer desk.
Thanks, Mikek

This is aimed at marka633csi, but anyone can chime in.
After seeing and doing marks suggested wiring for FWD only on/off switch, I wondered why I can't add Reverse and Off
I think I can. I have some switches that are on/off/on, the middle position is off, and either direction is on.
So here is how I think this can be done. I think it works, but would like confirmation, before I pop the circuit breaker or make pretty sparks.
Shown below in drawing.

EDIT, I changed the drawing below. The ON / OFF / ON switch is not the proper choice, it should be a DPDT ON/ON switch.
(https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Toggle-position-mounting-terminal/dp/B01MSWTEB0)

and a SPST ON / OFF Power switch.

(simple 20A light switch) https://tinyurl.com/3ncav5bx

Thanks, Mikek

Milling Machine 120V wiring for Foward and Reverse.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely you can do that- It's how I have mine set up right now
Just a reminder that all capacitor started motors need to come to nearly a full stop before they will reverse
If the direction switch is thrown quickly the motor will keep running in the same direction it was started in

Great, I'll cancel my Amazon switch order and make this wiring change tomorrow.
Is the complicated 4 section, 3 position, double pole switch there ONLY because of the 120/240V option?
Thanks a bunch for all the help, MIkek

No, it's only to provide the on/off function and the reversing function all in one switch
Has nothing to do with the voltage

No, it's only to provide the on/off function and the reversing function all in one switch
Has nothing to do with the voltage
Yep, now that I have it working, I see that it takes two switches, but that is all built into the more complicated switch.
Now that I have a better understanding of this, I may be able to put the original switch back together properly. (Get the cams oriented properly)
But, I need to get my taxes filled out and sent before anymore fun projects :-(
Note: I changed my diagram in post #43 to reflect how I actually got it wired and working.
Thanks, Mikek

I was going to mention: The switch is bilaterally symmetrical so all the cams should orient in the same way I would think

I was going to mention: The switch is bilaterally symmetrical so all the cams should orient in the same way I would think
I'll start with that, as the first assumption when I start the process of figuring it out. Taxes need to be done first.

Mikek

I'm looking for help to go through these diagrams of my proposed wiring of the 4 section switch.
Refer to post #22 which is a known working wiring, (although I think FWD and REV are backwards in the drawing)
I have labeled what is kind of a truth table, that is based on the diagram in post #22.
Thanks, Mikek
PS. it looks like the two cams are one way and the other two are turned 180*.

EDIT, I corrected the text under the REVERSE diagram.

Milling Machine Switch WIRING Possible solutions FWD OFF REV.jpg

Last edited:
Back