Help with Harbor Freight switch.

Thanks for both diagram posts, If needed I will wire it for FWD direction.
I can't recall ever using reverse on the mill.
I'm still pushing towards getting the original put together.
I have switched the wires as you suggested.
(I didn't change light brown and dark brown or light blue dark blue yet, but the should be swapped to by the same as it is wired)
Any opinion on where the other two wires should be connected?

Happy note; the wire swap you suggested makes sense with the 0.4Ω reading I get!

Milling Machine Final 2nd iteration.png

This is what the motor looks like internally: (the order of the start leg components might be shuffled but the result is the same)
Motint1.jpeg

This is what the motor looks like internally:
View attachment 442775
I'm not understanding that. I suspect to reverse the motor, the phase of one of the Main windings needs to reversed. So unless the main winding connections are broken and go back the the switch as one of the 4 wires, I'm lost.
Also where are the AC connections made.
Thanks, Mikek

No, not necessarily. You can swap either the main windings (both of them are in parallel for 120v) or the start leg to reverse.
Factory wiring can be either way. The result is the same.

The way your switch was jumpered from the factory is very convoluted and confusing, even for me. The power goes in, then it comes out, then
it goes back in again- very goofy. No wonder you are lost

Wait for the new switch and wire it according to the diagrams I posted, is my recommendation- in the mean time, just limp on it with a toggle switch

Last edited:
No, not necessarily. You can swap either the main windings (both of them are in parallel for 120v) or the start leg to reverse.

What that says to me is that if you start a motor in a direction, it will go that way no matter which way the of the two parallel motor windings connected as long as their phase to each other is correct. (assumes there is no start winding)
Does that sound right?
Thanks, Mikek

Last edited:
Back