Helmet---$$$$---?????

My welding has improved leaps & bounds since starting this new job, I initially failed the welding test but the new guy that started the same day as I did went to college for metal fusion. Just a couple pointers from him and a few minutes later I'm laying beads like a pro. The new splash shield on my helmet was a great help too.

Well you know what this means????? YEP, you guessed it, the obligatory pictures!!!

Next tread I start------------ Mig Welding for Dummies
I am just tired of sending my welding out---- it just ain't handy.

I'll be looking forward to that one! Make sure you have a section for "incredibly incompetent" Dummies so I have a chance on picking up some tips. :p :biggrin:

-Ron

My helmet is also a Miller Digital Elite, 4 sensors and an Xmode which I run all the time, also have the cheater lenses in it in conjuction with my reading glasses means I can see the weld puddle now, I could just use a stronger lens but I like to have the glasses on all the time, so if I take the helmet off, I don't then have to try and find them and put them on.

AW, It's so easy a cavemen can do it, matter of fact several years ago some university proported to have taught a chimpanzee how to weld,,,,,,,,,I believe it now resides on a corporate board somewhere!

Nope, last I heard that chimp was in Congress.

John

Oh Man, that thing is so new and pretty, you won't want to weld in it and get it all dirty!!!

Better put it on a shelf and go buy a cheap HF model to work in!

I had a Miller helmet, but I don't know the model. I bought it used and it was pretty useless. I finally threw it away. A while back HF had a big sale on helmets. I got in on time and got one. Since that day I have almost never used my Jackson EQC. The HF helmet has treated me very good.

The Miller you tossed ain't nothing like the new stuff they have out.

I had a Miller helmet, but I don't know the model. I bought it used and it was pretty useless. I finally threw it away. A while back HF had a big sale on helmets. I got in on time and got one. Since that day I have almost never used my Jackson EQC. The HF helmet has treated me very good.

Bought the Blue Flame HF auto darkening solar powered helmet about two years ago. Have probably used the helmet less than ten times. Try to place outside in the sun every couple of months and the day before using. Has worked very well and have never been flashed. For the hobbiest, this is a good helmet at a very reasonable price(when on sale).

I don't think the batteries are solar charged. 2032's aren't rechargeable. I think they are just there to provide power to darken the helmet before the solar panel has started to generate power from the arc light. After that, the batteries are off line unless the light level drops off. "Solar powered" is an unfortunate advertising choice.

Just my take on the thing. Placing it in the sun won't likely help if the 'backup' batteries are getting old. We need to replace them from time to time.

I don't know anything about how they work-----But----- the folks down at Airco told me to set the helmet out in the sun before I used it.
Remember this is a Miller Elite which is the newest model out. I know there's a meter inside that tells you if it is ready to use.:phew:

I don't know the guys down at Airco, but I do have the manual for my Miller Elite. I just read through it and it doesn't mention setting the helmet out in the sun. It does talk about the red LED that comes on when " 2 - 3 days of battery life remain". Unlike my other auto helmet, the Elite uses two 2450 batteries. These are non-rechargeable Lithium batteries.

Back