Helmet---$$$$---?????

Gary Max

Active User
Registered
I am looking at buying my first Auto Darkening helmet. I am finding lots of different prices--- are there features I need to look for ????:headscratch:

You're old so make sure it will hold a cheater lens :lmao: .... I bought mine at Northern tool under $100.00 works good.

Gary,

Although I do not own one and personally use both the pancake style and Fibre Metal's Pipeliner, I've been around many. A few things to consider, and in no particular order, are:
1. - is it adjustable for the shades that will suit your welding needs
2. - battery longevity / replacement availability
3. - on/off function (there are some manual versions and some with auto sense/automatic shut off if not used for a given period)
4. - what size cover plate (there are 2 x 4 inch versions and 4 x 4 inch versions) (( and maybe even bigger))
5. - any warranty (best value for your dollar)
6. - total weight (wearing 24 ounces on one's head all day can get heavy)

You also need to check that the headgear is comfortable for your head. There are lens available to fit in a standard hoods and you can change headgears if need be.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the HF auto darkening helmets. I got them at normal price. At that cost, I wish I would have spent the extra money on the Miller helmet. If you can get them on sale they are a good deal. They work pretty well IMO.

I went through a lot of searching/discovery before buying my last helmet and I ended up with one from Miller Electric.

One of the main considerations that I had was the size of glass or viewing area. Now that I'm a bit "older" anything that further restricts my poor vision is "not good".

I also wanted a helmet that could be used for both grinding and welding.

One other thing that became a factor was the number of sensors the helmet has. Through my reading I found that more sensors resulted in a more reliable "darkening" when it was needed. Some of the cheaper helmets tended to miss the flash and allow it to affect your eyes (see note about "further restricting poor vision".

You've only got one set of eyes, even if they are on the slide like mine are. Personally this is one area where I would not skimp on.

-Ron

I use a Miller Elite now. I had a cheaper Hobart one but the window was a lot smaller and I got "flashed" a lot with it.

This is NOT something you should not cheap out on IMHO, get a good one that is comfortable and you will forget about the price quickly.

Gary,
I can tell you that it is way better to spend a bit more on a good helment than to risk getting flashed to save a few bucks. I had a HF and kept getting flashed and it really affected my weld quality due to the fear of getting flashed and looking away when I started an arc. Now I have a Miller Digital with the large window and 4 sensors and I dont get flashed and that makes a big difference in where I start and how my completed welds look. Welding Suppies at IOC had the on sale with a bag and gloves not too far back and they put em on sale pretty often, so if you have a bit of time you can shop around and find a good comfprtable helment that fits well and isn't too heavy with a replaceable battery and multiple sensor. Definately worth the time and little bit extra coins. The options to look for are adjustable delay, grinding mode, replaceable battery, headgear replacement parts availability and maximum number of sensors. Switch times are also kind of important, the faster the better is always good. The digital Elite was the best value for my money when I was buying a new helment, but Optrel and others make a comparable helment too.
Bob

Back